Hop schedule for my "Daisy Cutter"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPlan00

Reaction score
Looking for a good session APA beer with a lot of hop character, but not too bitter, I put together this recipe and brewed it this past weekend as a 10.5 gallon batch, with what looks like 10.25 split between two carboys with some sediment on the bottom (I used muslin hop bags during the boil to reduce the vegetal matter). I used 20# Maris Otter as the only malt, and mashed at 155F for 60 min.

Here is the hop schedule. Any idea what I can expect? Of course, the dry hops can be changed, but I have a strong feeling about the Simcoe DH getting me close to this Half Acre Brewery gem:

USE TIME OZ VARIETY FORM AA
FWH 60+ mins 2.5 Columbus pellet 14.2
boil 60 mins 1.0 Simcoe pellet 12.4
boil 10 mins 1.0 Simcoe pellet 12.4
boil 10 mins 1.0 Centennial pellet 8.8
boil 10 mins 1.0 Ahtanum pellet 5.2
boil 10 mins 1.0 Amarillo pellet 8.2
boil 1 min 1.0 Centennial pellet 8.8
boil 1 min 1.0 Simcoe pellet 12.4
boil 1 min 1.0 Amarillo pellet 8.2
boil 1 min 1.0 Ahtanum pellet 5.2
dry hop 4 days 3.0 Simcoe pellet 12.4 (1.5 oz. in each primary)

Thanks!

I think you can expect a straight-up, brutal bitter! This isn't a session APA by any means. I just plugged it into ProMash for the hell of it and it's registering 122 (Rager) and 114 (Tinseth) IBU's!!!

155F Seems really high to me for a mash temp for a pale ale--I would dial it down to 149-151 personally...

Did you end up doing this? (and what was the FG & yeast if you did?)

Way wayyyy wayyy too many hops for a Pale Ale. 8.5-9oz for a 10gal batch should be all you need. your hop bill looks too hoppy for an IPA even.

Your FWH and your 60 min hops. Pick one or the other. or cut waaayy back on them. Just too many high %AA hops early. I would cut the FWH down to 1oz, and Move that 1oz of Simcoe to 30min, and cut it back to 0.5oz. Your 10min additions, make those 0.5oz each for a total of 2oz of total hops added at 10min. And do the same for the flameout additions, 0.5oz each. I would also dry hop less for longer. so...

1oz Columbus @ FWH
0.5oz Simcoe @ 30 min
0.5oz Simcoe @ 10 min
0.5oz Centennial @ 10 min
0.5oz Ahtanum @ 10 min
0.5oz Amarillo @ 10 min
0.5oz Centennial @ 1 min
0.5oz Simcoe @ 1 min
0.5oz Amarillo @ 1 min
0.5oz Ahtanum @ 1 min
Dry Hop 2-3 oz Simcoe for 5-7 days (2.5oz would leave you with even oz amounts of simcoe)

That will leave you with 45 IBUs for a 1.055 beer, which is perfect for the bitter end of a pale ale. And yes, I calculated this as a 10gallon batch. Considering what you brewed, your going to have the most hop forward, and bitter Pale Ale you've ever had.

How did this turn out? I live in Lincoln Square. I love some Daisy Cutter, but always figured Daisy Cutter was Galenas and Sterlings and a big grassy mess. I would never have guessed a fruity Simcoe or Aarillo dry hop.

It was absolutely the MOST bitter pale ale I have ever had. They were right. I needed to adjust boil volume and switch from tinseth to rager for bittering unit calculations to be right in the software I was using. 149.9 IBUs!!!

Now, for the overall taste. Great. Dial down those hop additions to possibly what the another poster suggested and you may be damn close to a Daisy Cutter. I was referred to simcoe by a trusted brewer at the LHBS when I brought up what I was attempting to achieve. "Simcoe, and more simcoe, and dryhop with simcoe" was his reply.

I ended up dry hopping 5 gallons with citra, and the other 5 with simcoe, but I can't say I preferred one over the other by much. I am definitely going to blend the two for dry hopping this beer, which I will definitely make again. The kegs didn't last long, even for all it's hoppiness. I had my hop head friends hooked. Though it did overpower the malt for sure, you could still detect the biscuity MO in the background.

I changed the name because, let's face it, I wasn't ever going to be making a real Daisy Cutter. It went from a pale ale, to an India Pale Ale, using English malt. I give you my first English American India Pale Ale (EAIPA), "American Indian in London!" :)

Back