BridgePort ESB Clone v1.0

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texasgeorge

Reaction score
Well, I just cracked my first from a batch I brewed on 12/10/06. I need to go to the store and buy some of the authentic stuff to get a side-by-side on them, but I think it's not far off. The color is definitely close, but I think there's a little more additional bitterness in the BridgePort variety compared to mine... and my aroma is different I think too. But still, a very excellent brew. Here's my recipe:

10# 2-row
1# Crystal 40L
1oz Chocolate Malt

Mash in 15qts at 152F for 1 hour and 10 minutes, lost 2F degrees over that time. Added 4qt 195F water to mashout at 160F, ranoff.
Batch sparged at 168F for 15 minutes and ranoff. Discovered a broken hydrometer so I have no gravity readings at all.

Total wort was 6.5 gallons, hop schedule as follows:
1.0 oz Willamette pellet 4.6% @60m
0.5 oz Cascade pellet 5.2% @20m
0.5 oz Cascade pellet 5.2% @flameout
Dry Hop 1.0oz EK Golding pellet 5.5% for 2 weeks in secondary.

Pitched with 500mL starter White Labs WLP005.

Here it is, about five weeks later... and very tasty! I think v1.1 will add an extra 0.5 to 1.0 oz of bittering hops.

3656-bridgeportclone.jpg

edit: that's a real grainy pic from my camera phone. when I do my side-by-side I'll get a better one.

I'm going to give this one a try. If you have a side by side handy I'd enjoy it. If not no worries. Did you try it again and if so what extra bittering hops did you use?

Back