Windows Vista Blows

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Dog

Orange whip?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Last night updater installed SP 1 and now Vista doesn't recognize my sound cards driver. As yet there is no new driver. As a result my new (expensive) laptop is now without sound. I can't wait to find out what else it can't do!!!

My 1st computer (nearly 20 years ago) was a Mac I think my next one will be too!

Last night updater installed SP 1 and now Vista doesn't recognize my sound cards driver. As yet there is no new driver. As a result my new (expensive) laptop is now without sound. I can't wait to find out what else it can't do!!!

My 1st computer (nearly 20 years ago) was a Mac I think my next one will be too!

install linux, dont judge a computer on microsoft

Lol even MS knows that vista sucks balls. They have already said that because it blows so hard, that they are going to speed up the release of their next OS.

yea dont judge the pc architecture because of windows especially vista, it would be like saying a radio is a piece of crap cause you cant find a channel you like. linux is good if your willing to learn and windows xp isnt that bad, if your really adventurous there are other operating systems to try: linux, freebsd(and the other bsd systems), beos, solaris...

It gets worse. As of June 30, 2008, you can't buy XP anymore.

What a bunch of F'n BS. F MS in the A with no KY.

^^^ I think that is still work safe :)

MS finally got something right with XP and instead of letting it live on....they want to kill it.

Yeah. I just got this email:

* Windows® XP Information:
Per the Microsoft® Windows Life-Cycle policy, Direct OEM and Retail License Availability for Windows XP will End-Of-Life (EOL) on June 30, 2008. To meet Microsoft’s June 30 last-day-to-ship OEM Windows XP deadline, June 18 is the last time to purchase a Dell laptop, desktop, or workstation with an OEM Windows XP license.
After June 18th you have the option to purchase Windows Vista Business or Windows Vista Ultimate with a downgrade service to Windows XP Professional. This option will be available on XPS 630, 720 H2C, and M1730 systems. After June 18th, Windows XP will no longer be offered on currently available Inspiron laptops and desktops.

They figured they'd have all of the bugs worked out before this point. It's the reason why I didn't upgrade in the first place. I knew it. Just like windows 3.11, 95, 98 & 2000. It always took them a year to figure their stuff out.

Last computer I bought was when Dell insisted everything had to ship with Vista. They wouldn't sell the system I was interested in with XP; they had only one system that was, at that time, shipping with XP and it wasn't the one I wanted. Because of the inflexibility of Dell on the OS, I went to a boutique gamer PC company to purchase. Call me crazy but seeing as how it was my money I thought I ought to have some say in what I was buying.

I'm sure there was an agreement between MS and Dell that made Dell a lot of money by offering almost all systems with Vista as the only OS choice; hopefully they lost enough revenue by people going elsewhere to offset anything they made.

Rick

Last computer I bought was when Dell insisted everything had to ship with Vista. They wouldn't sell the system I was interested in with XP; they had only one system that was, at that time, shipping with XP and it wasn't the one I wanted. Because of the inflexibility of Dell on the OS, I went to a boutique gamer PC company to purchase. Call me crazy but seeing as how it was my money I thought I ought to have some say in what I was buying.

I'm sure there was an agreement between MS and Dell that made Dell a lot of money by offering almost all systems with Vista as the only OS choice; hopefully they lost enough revenue by people going elsewhere to offset anything they made.

Rick

Same deal with the Toshiba I bought however I went the other way and got it anyway. In retrospect I should have dealt with the OS when I first got it rather than 8 months later.

Well, here's my thoughts...

I have 5 laptops (3 of which work) and a Frankenstein desktop...

My work laptop is a Toshiba Satellite, Intel Pentium Dore Core running Windows Vista and honestly other than the initial headaches of figuring out how to properly install network printers and all that, Vista has been good to me. I run programs in compatibility mode for Windows XP service Pack 2 with Admin Rights and everything is fine.

I have a Sony Laptop running Windows XP with no issues other than 2 Hard Drive re-formats due to my own mistakes, the Sony has been my workhorse through college and to this day does my wife well...

I have 3 Dell Laptops all with Linux (Ubuntu) on them and once I have them up and running decently I might run Ubuntu on a partitioned HD on my Sony.

My Dell Frankenstein Desktop is running a Pentium 4 processor with 1gb of ram and 120gb of storage and is running Ubuntu on that machine as well... no issues to date.

The only downside is that I need AutoCAD for work and other programs that aren't supported by Linux, so right now Linux is a "casual" OS for me and not one I use for work. If Linux had full support of AutoCAD (other than running it through WINE) I would make the switch without a doubt... Windows is open to too many viruses and I could do without the crashes every so often, Ubuntu is free of all the crap and honestly I think it's easy to use (everyone claims that you have to know special codes to operate Linux and honestly, it's no different than having to teach yourself Windows so there is no big deal for me).

Working in the IT industry ... most people complaining about Vista just don't know how to use it since a few things were moved around and placed at different spots. With a very few options you can make your Vista look just like XP if that suits you better. On all computers that have been purchased within the last 2 years (at least) Vista runs very stable. In case Vista doesn't recognize hardware, talk to your computer manufacturer.. HP, Dell, etc. are quite good with releasing new drivers if necessary. If they don’t, it’s not Microsoft’s problem.

Linux/Unix is also not really the solution to call (human) problems. I use Red Hat, Debian, Ubuntu, and FreeBSD. If you think Vista causes you some "trouble" by not understanding where everything is located, have fun with Linux. Also, hardware incompatibility is way higher on all *unix os' even though they have gotten quite good in the past 3-4 years.

Bashing Microsoft (including Vista) is the same way people complain about AB, C-M, etc. However, most people complaining are buying BMC quite often. Oh and before I forget: If you have a Vista license, you can use XP with that license key. Just call Microsoft’s licensing department and they will issue a key for XP. I hope I didn’t offend anyone…if I did, I didn’t mean it.

Working in the IT industry ... most people complaining about Vista just don't know how to use it since a few things were moved around and placed at different spots. With a very few options you can make your Vista look just like XP if that suits you better. On all computers that have been purchased within the last 2 years (at least) Vista runs very stable. In case Vista doesn't recognize hardware, talk to your computer manufacturer.. HP, Dell, etc. are quite good with releasing new drivers if necessary. If they don’t, it’s not Microsoft’s problem.

Linux/Unix is also not really the solution to call (human) problems. I use Red Hat, Debian, Ubuntu, and FreeBSD. If you think Vista causes you some "trouble" by not understanding where everything is located, have fun with Linux. Also, hardware incompatibility is way higher on all *unix os' even though they have gotten quite good in the past 3-4 years.

Bashing Microsoft (including Vista) is the same way people complain about AB, C-M, etc. However, most people complaining are buying BMC quite often. Oh and before I forget: If you have a Vista license, you can use XP with that license key. Just call Microsoft’s licensing department and they will issue a key for XP. I hope I didn’t offend anyone…if I did, I didn’t mean it.

To me learning a new OS is kind of interesting. My problem has been when the Vista OS doesn't recognize my drivers.

1. I had trouble finding a driver several months ago for my printer.
2. Still don't have a driver for my card reader.
3. With the SP1 upgrade Vista ceased to recognize my sound card. (Who knows what else)

To me MS has some responsibility for making sure the drivers will work. I don't think the software is ready for release otherwise.

I know that Apple doesn't release software until they have resolved driver issues.

Just my opinion though

most people complaining about Vista just don't know how to use it
I have few issues with the way Vista is laid out. It's pretty easy to use. My problem with Vista is that it's completely bloated. MS crammed way too many stupid "features" into it. For example, the animated graphics and widgets are irritating and gobble system resources. Even with all of the animations turned off, the "Aero" theme disabled, and only McAfee running in the background, Vista reports that over 600MB of 2GB is being used. The CPU usage is relatively low, but it spikes wildly with every OS operation. Even simple tasks like moving a window around on the desktop forces CPU usage up over 50%! An OS should absolutely not require that sort of computing power just to exist.

I've only been using Vista for a couple of months and it is a memory hog. For someone who is only a tiny bit computer savy is there a way to keep it from using so much space?

To me MS has some responsibility for making sure the drivers will work. I don't think the software is ready for release otherwise.

Drivers are always produced by the hardware's manufacturer. If you are looking for drivers, first go on your laptop/desktop manufacturer's webpage. If they can't be found there, go to the actual device manufacturer's webpage. As long as the hardware is supported in general for the OS (i.e. Vista) there will be drivers. Also, sometimes the device manager in Windows doesn't regocnize the hardware. The problems usually solves itself when you try to install the driver.

I've only been using Vista for a couple of months and it is a memory hog. For someone who is only a tiny bit computer savy is there a way to keep it from using so much space?

You can't really downgrade from using that much space unfortunately. At least to my knowledge you can't. The standard requirements are up quite a bit compared to XP. In case you want Vista to stop being annoying, ease the user control settings, etc.

As a long time user, Ubuntu seems to be the easiest that most people use, I stick with Fedora, Core 9 came out recently and outside of some issues with getting the right driver for my Nvidia card it works great. (The problem was Fedora went to the beta X11 server, and Nvidia at the release did not support beta X11 systems.) All fixed now.

There is a way. Google Vista tweaks. You can make it run with much less memory load. It will still be a hog compared to xp, but it will be much better that what it originally comes set to.

My last gf's parents bought her a laptop with vista on it. Out of the box the thing would lag when typing. I'm talking bad.....you couldn't even use the stupid thing it was so bad. I turned down all of vista's bells and whistles and it helped a lot.

I also had this issue, I used method 5...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948481

Back