Brewing my second batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LumberjackJohn

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just put the water on to boil for my second batch of homebrew. My first batch was a few years ago, so this is my re-introduction into the hobby. My parents bought me the kit and ingredients, so I'm not 100% sure of the style of beer, all I know is I have a can of dark malt extract, a tub of what looks like brewery grade corn syrup, and Cascade hops. Hope everything goes well! I will try to take some pictures for y'all!

Thanks guys, I put it in a plastic fermenter so I can't get pictures right now, but it is fermenting away. Being as paranoid and OCD as I am, I was worried when the airlock wasn't bubbling after about 12 hours, but now it has been about 16 hours and it is bubbling away! I will take pictures when I rack to secondary.

If your next brew doesn't bubble at all, don't worry. Airlock activity is a bad indicator of activity. Your hydrometer is the only way to be sure.

Yeah I've read that, but a bubbling airlock does give you that warm feeling inside. It's an instant assurance of what a hydrometer will tell you.

LumberjackJohn - It gives me a warm fuzzy too, but don't trust it.
Use the hydrometer Luke, Trust the hydrometer. But I am NOT your father kind of stuff. Believe me, the hydrometer and thermometer is the only thing I trust after testing and verification they are working.
I tend to break the glass on the bottom of hydrometer and all the beads fall out, so test, verify, then believe.
(queue sound track from the X-Files).

How often? Depends really. For example, I don't use a secondary so I just leave my brews in the primary for 3+ weeks. Sure I check the reading right before I syphon out to bottle but by then I am already sure that fermention is done. Of course, if I had no indications of airlock activity I'd probably crack open the fermentor after 5-7 days. If there was any krausen then I'd leave it alone. But if there was none I'd take a reading.

If you are using a secondary then definitely take a ready before racking if not before.

Yeah I am putting it in a secondary. I read somewhere, i forget the source now, that you can take a sample of the wort from the primary and fill a beer bottle with it, put a paper towel in the top of the bottle and use that to take hydrometer readings. I did that, and the SG is down to 1.020 already, making the ABV approx 3%. Should I be worried about low alcohol content beer, or is the hydrometer ABV scale inaccurate? Sorry for all the newb questions, I just want to get this right.

Depending on the OG, a SG of 1.020 may be a little high still. I would wait another three days and test it again before racking to secondary. You really want active fermentation to be done for at least 3 days before racking to secondary to give the yeast time to complete their cycle and clean up after themselves.

I took a sample from my fermenter today, and here are some pictures.

CIMG2581.JPG

CIMG2586.JPG

The SG is about 1.012 now. I will give it a couple more days to ferment before racking to secondary.

Latest posts

Back