Wine Kit Bottling - Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

limprizol

Reaction score
I bought a kit to make wine and everything is done it came out good. The only problem i have is that i got antsy and i made 3 bottles leaving the carboy not topped off now for about a week.

Do you think i have ruined the rest of the wine?

I was going to try to degass before i bottled is that a good idea or bad idea?

Boy...It's always a bad idea to try and outguess the instructions on a kit. they have you top those off for a reason. Do you have anything you can top with now?
If it calls for degasing, do it.

I would'nt say that your batch is ruined, but dont' do that again. Just follow the directions. If you have off flavors 6 or 12 months from now...you might think of this and be able to point back and say "That is why"

It is a light White wine, it is one of those island mist kits so i hope it doesnt make a big difference. Plus it has only been like 10 days.

What about the degassing though?

I think the reason you top of is so there is less space for air to get in but i might be completly wrong

That is the reason for topping off. It is to lower your headspace, or the space above the wine in the container. If it is still fermenting and putting out co2 you more then likely didn't destroy your wine. I do suggest topping off though.

The real question is why are you bottling anything after 10 days? Or are you referring to how long its been since you bottled some?

i am referring to since i bottled the other 3 bottles

Basically the wine was done i didn't have enough bottles so i bottled 3 and left the rest in the carboy i am gonna bottle the rest tonight and i was wondering if i should degass before hand

Back