HopHed Blonde Ale (BMC clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham
Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
1 week
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 weeks
Tasting Notes
see below
I made this for SWMBO in an attempt to achieve something close to BMC, but with some actual flavor. I was hesitant to add the 3 beano tablets, but this beer turned out really well for what I set out to do.

This batch actually finished at 1.001. I'm not sure if that was because of the beano addition in primary (when yeast is pitched), or if my Notty just went crazy. I plan on brewing the exact recipe again, then brewing again without the beano.

It's light and low in carbs, but it has more body and flavor them BMC. The nose it a bit heavier than BMC, but it's pretty close. It has enough flavor to keep an EAC like me interested, but is light enough to appeal to BMC drinkers.

I have a party coming up on 8/30 that will have a number of BMC drinkers in attendance. Their reaction to this beer will be the real gauge of whether I accomplished my goal or not... updates to follow.

Good grief, I can't believe that I tried to clone BMC and moderately succeeded. I need to go drink some very obscure beer to wash away my shame. :D

--------------------------

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: HopHed Blonde Ale
Brewer: HopHed Brewhaus
Asst Brewer:
Style: Blonde Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (41.0)

Recipe Specifications
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.39 gal
Estimated OG: 1.042 SG
Estimated Color: 3.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 82.35 %
1.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 11.76 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
0.33 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 16.3 IBU
0.25 oz Hallertauer [6.00 %] (2 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
3.00 items Alpha-Galactosidase Enzyme (Beano) (PrimarMisc
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge

Total Grain Weight: 8.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 2.66 gal of water at 170.1 F 154.0 F

Sparge in 2 equal volumes to equal the preboil volume based on your equipment.

Crush the beano tablets, then add them at the same time that you pitch the Nottingham (pitch the Nottingham dry).

Substitute the 60 minute addition with just about any high aa% hop if necessary.

I made this for SWMBO in an attempt to achieve something close to BMC, but with some actual flavor. I was hesitant to add the 3 beano tablets, but this beer turned out really well for what I set out to do.

This batch actually finished at 1.001. I'm not sure if that was because of the beano addition in primary (when yeast is pitched), or if my Notty just went crazy. I plan on brewing the exact recipe again, then brewing again without the beano.

It's light and low in carbs, but it has more body and flavor them BMC. The nose it a bit heavier than BMC, but it's pretty close. It has enough flavor to keep an EAC like me interested, but is light enough to appeal to BMC drinkers.

I have a party coming up on 8/30 that will have a number of BMC drinkers in attendance. Their reaction to this beer will be the real gauge of whether I accomplished my goal or not... updates to follow.

Good grief, I can't believe that I tried to clone BMC and moderately succeeded. I need to go drink some very obscure beer to wash away my shame. :D

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - BeerSmith Brewing Software, Recipes, Blog, Wiki and Discussion Forum
Recipe: HopHed Blonde Ale
Brewer: HopHed Brewhaus
Asst Brewer:
Style: Blonde Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (41.0)

Recipe Specifications
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.39 gal
Estimated OG: 1.042 SG
Estimated Color: 3.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 82.35 %
1.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 11.76 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
0.33 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 16.3 IBU
0.25 oz Hallertauer [6.00 %] (2 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
3.00 items Alpha-Galactosidase Enzyme (Beano) (PrimarMisc
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge

Total Grain Weight: 8.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 2.66 gal of water at 170.1 F 154.0 F

Sparge in 2 equal volumes to equal the preboil volume based on your equipment.

Crush the beano tablets, then add them at the same time that you pitch the Nottingham (pitch the Nottingham dry).

Substitute the 60 minute addition with just about any high aa% hop if necessary.

I have a couple of quesions:
1. Why the Beano?
2. How did this fare at your party?

Beano = decrease carbs.

It was a smashing success, although much to my surprise there was just as much IPA consumed as this beer.

way late to the party on this, but did you ever brew this a second time with and without the Beano?

I need to decrease the carbs in my beers but don't want to sacrifice taste, body, etc.

Have you tried Beano in other brews to reduce the carbs?

I have brewed this beer a few times, but haven't excluded the Beano. I've used it a few other times in beers and I thought that they turned out well. I'm not sure that you can have it both ways, to tell you the truth. If you're looking for lower carbs, you're almost certainly going to lose something in the body.

Back