Bratwurst beer! Yummo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
Hear me out.

I entered a contest about a year ago. I brewed a Kolsch. It is judged first according to BJCP then if it pasts the test it is moved on to the final round where the public votes on it. The contest is held by a local brewery.

The comments I got from the public (after doing very good with the first round, 44 out of 50) were things like :

Too crisp

Too lite

Too dry

Slightly fruity

Bad

What the Crap!?!?! Thats a Kolsch!!!!!! So i was complaining to the Head Brewer and he told me that the public generally dosent know their head from a hole in the ground. And i said to him what do i have to do dry hop a beer with a hot dog so it has some crazy complexity weirdness to it?

This has now been an on going joke between him and I......................Until now.....................................

I give you The Uncommon California Common!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DSC00518.jpg

This is the Brats getting ready to receive some good smokiness!

DSC00519.jpg

Here we see the little buggers are nice and happy in the mash

DSC00520.jpg

And here they are right before they were eaten. Boy were they good and sweet!

Basically I took a California Common recipe and added 20% Rauch malt to the bill. When people ask me where the smoke flavor comes from I of course will tell them the Brats;)

Suckers!

I am. It is fermenting away in the basement.........or rather sitting, it got done fermenting about last wednesday.

This contest is for Expieriment-ALEs

So the entrants will all have used some kind of adjunct not normally used.

I used brats.

Well, I never thought I would be posting this but the beer is great!

I just transfered to a keg and of couse tasted it not expecting much.

Well, it is a smoked beer for those that need a smoked beer with training wheels. It has just the slightest hint of smoke to it. I know this started out as a joke, but, if it tasted this good when carbonated I will be making this again without the brats.

Will update in a week or so with full reveiw.

Did the brats really do anything for the mash? I would think the only way to have gotten any flavor from them they would need slip open. Didn't the smokiness just come from the Rauch malt?

Just recently I was thinking that, with the number of homebrewers out there, it is hard to formulate a truly original recipe. This is the first Bratwurst beer I have ever heard of! Even if it hadn't come out as tasty, you would still get a lot of style points for originality! :mug:

I can't help but wonder, how do the brats affect head retention? Seems like a little brat grease could affect the head, unless it gets boiled off. :cross:

Did the brats really do anything for the mash? I would think the only way to have gotten any flavor from them they would need slip open. Didn't the smokiness just come from the Rauch malt?

i doubt they really did anything for the mash, but i'm just saying that that sweet barley on the sausages sounds mighty tasty!! :cross:

LOL. I owe you a round, J. +1 on innovation. My ExperimentALE is a wuss in comparison.
Speaking of. I need to see how it's carbing up. It's been on 12psi since last Thursday.

No-

The brats added nothing that i can tell as far as smoke flavor. You are right in thinking that most of the smoke came from the rauch malt. Adding the brats was just a way to F*ck with people (the public) that will be eventually judging the beer.

As far as head retention i was a bit worried about that incase the grain bed did not do a sufficient job in straining any grease from the brats so i added a 1/2 lb of wheat.

All though we all know the brats probably didnt add much it is still funny and disturbing to see them sitting in the mash.

I know i said this earlier but the beer was very very good and once carb'd i think it will be very very drinkable.

Laugh all you want nay sayers!!!!!!!!!!!!

muwaaahahahahahah. Scored a 33 with it. Not great, but.........good enough to make it to the public judging were i will have little bits of grilled brats on toothpicks for people to sample while they drink the delicious farse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So the bacon IPA I was thinking about isn't out of the question then. Interesting. ;)

Good work again, JC. I really enjoyed this beer, and I'm glad you finally "showed him" by following thru with a brat beer. :D

I loved it, I thought it was just smoky enough to still be recognizable as a Steam beer. :D

Back