Dogs and gas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerfan

Reaction score
We just adopted a rott, shep mix and oh my good lord. She only eats puppy food and she can clear the room real quick. Great puppy other than that, a real baby with the kids.

Congrats on the adopt! As far as dog gas... I have a 168 lb great dane. When he farts, he has been known to make SWMBO gag. I'm anosmic so it doesn't bother me, but for her, I've seen he run out of the house like she was in a SWAT team tear gas raid. She could definitely relate. Also, I think it must be something about pups because my mom's dog is particularly raunchy and it's like six months old. Wow, Friday night and we're talking about dog farts...

Yeah I can definitely relate to what you are saying i got a 90lb boxer that can clear a room quicker then ****!.

:off:
I didn't know what anosmia was so i looked it up and found this, guess that the aroma of your beer is a little more important than some people give credit to.

Smell vs. taste

It should be emphasized that there are no more than 6 distinctive tastes: salty, sour, sweet, bitter, umami and possibly fatty acids. The 10,000 different scents which humans usually recognize as 'tastes' are often actually 'flavor', which many people who can smell confuse with taste. This sense of 'flavor' is greatly diminished by a loss of the sense of smell, often causing those with sudden onset anosmia a great deal of concern when all food suddenly loses its flavor. Congenital anosmics often have a much more developed sense of taste than those who could smell at some point in their lives, and can enjoy food just as much as someone who could smell

Cheers

Yeah, I'm a congenital anosmic and, according to the docs, I can taste as well as your average person. Everyone thinks that taste and smell are totally connected, but it's not as big a deal as they make it. I spent a lot of my childhood getting studied because it's weird and relatively uncommon, and after all that all they could say is "wow, that makes NO sense". Weirdest part is that nobody believed me till I was sixteen. However, this is for perhaps another thread: "Effin' Weirdo people"

I know that with my Airdale, switching food made a big difference. I now buy Nutro dog food, which costs more. But he poops less, and farts less

I have two greyhounds, which are known for their speed on the track and the speed at which they can clear rooms. The male is a sneak, he farts and walks out of the room.

My dog's gas has become more potent the older her gets. When he lets one rip, it lingers for a good, long time. Last week, I actually looked around for a pile of crap because the smell just wasn't going away.

switch foods. Not necessarily more expensive or higher quality; just different. usually clears things up. Do you have any kids? If not just wait till you get a face full of the scent of a newborn's diaper! Dog farts are like roses after that;)

My dog occasionally farts and it scares here so she tries to run away from her ass.

My old lab got cancer and she was put on all kinds of steroids and painkillers. Damn when she was on all the pills she could empty the entire house!:drunk:

talleymonster said:
My old lab got cancer and she was put on all kinds of steroids and painkillers. Damn when she was on all the pills she could empty the entire house!:drunk:

Ha ha. We had a pup that was very sick, to the point where she would only eat her choice of human food. She really loved deli turkey, so of course, that's what she got. I bought the cheap store brand once, the smell woke SWMBO and me during the middle of the night. She woke up after with a "What the hell's your problem?" look on her face.

talley - sorry to hear about your dogs cancer. On the diaper front my kids dont have anything on my dog. We ran short of dry food yesterday and to keep things equal my wife decided to give canned food to both dogs and the cat. Thank god I was drinking last night, I had to burn funny smelling crap to somewhat clear the room.

I made the mistake of pouring part of my yeastcake on top of my Boxer's dry food as a treat. (It was dry yeast, no washing) I almost got a divorce from that one. Took a solid 3 days for him to quit gagging us.

quickerNu said:
I made the mistake of pouring part of my yeastcake on top of my Boxer's dry food as a treat. (It was dry yeast, no washing) I almost got a divorce from that one. Took a solid 3 days for him to quit gagging us.

Now that's today's belly laugh! :D:D:D

Dog food is one of the worst things you can give dogs. Where in the wild do dogs eat grains and starches? They may eat a little grass but not the 50+% of their diet.

a 90lb dog should eat about 2lbs of meat per day. Raw trimmings from the butcher are cheap. Your dog will never have gass and will be a much better dog.

I cant afford to do that but as often as I can I give them nothing but raw meat and Ive noticed how much better they are.

I went to the vet inquiring about answers to my dogs gas.
It went like this:
Me: "The farts are really bad, the whole house reeks and they linger...they don't go away for a long time, on top of this they are noisy, you can hear them from the other side of the house. Is there any thing I can do? Change his food or something? What would you recommend?"

The vet: "What type of dog do you have?"

Me: "A boxer"

Vet: "There you go"

Me: " what do you mean there I go?"

Vet:"Boxers are notorious for gas"

Me: "Can I give him something to help with the smell?"

Vet: "Once you get sick of a particular odor, change his food. It won't make him start farting but the smell will be different"

Me: "Thanks"

Threadsurrection!

Also, I blame my gas on the dog. It can be pretty bad. He's a mini-Dachshund so I am always saying "Such a big smell from such a small dog!"

I had a Bulldog. They are the worst offenders. Plus, it's pretty much constant. They never stop farting.

90% sleeping, 9% farting, and 1% eating - I've just broken down a Bulldog's entire existence.

When I got Sage, I waited until spring to get him, because he was going to be an outside dog, and bringing a puppy home to an outdoor kennel in winter just isn't right. (Before you start with the indoor dog crap, he's a lab, with a heated water bowl, heated mat in his dog house, and tin roof over his kennel. He loves it outside. Plus, I'm usually only inside the house to sleep, otherwise I'm outside with him)

Anyway, literally two days after I brought him home, a cold snap hit and it snowed. So, he lived inside for the first couple months and got crate trained from the start. His crate was downstairs in the basement....right next to the furnace. Having a puppy fart blown through the entire house at 5 AM is NOT a pleasant way to wake up.

Anytime my dog rips one, I always look around to make sure something like this wasn't spawned.....

Slimer (cinemascope-blog).jpg

Back