The skin of my feet! Stupid!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Happy Mug

Reaction score
I'm standing here, brewing a wonderful toasty american amber. I just put my wort chiller in the pot, and I'm standing here stirring it. I've got the hoses hanging over the front of the stove. Just stiring away, enjoying the aroma, lost in thought.

The next thing I know, I've got boiling hot leftover water in my chiller steaming out onto my feet. Wonderful.

Anybody else do anything this dumb?

while bottling my last batch i forgot to add the gyle for priming. realized it while filling the last bottle. oops. luckily i hadnt capped them yet.

it didn't hit my feet, but it did start spitting all over the stove! It was the first time I had used the chiller in a production batch- I had only tested it before. Luckily it was just water, and not some high sugar content wort......oh wait....I've done that too!!!!

my most embarassing mistake was pouring the wort from my porter into the bottling bucket (used for shaking/aerating prior to going into the carboy), but forgetting to close the spigot before I did it. I lost probably a quart or so of the concentrated 3 gallon wort before I realized what was going on.

well.. there's that and absolutely EVERYTHING about making Pandora's Box.

-walker

yup.. three times. tasted good, better, and excellent (respectively).

Two more weeks and I'll really rip into it.

-walker

Well, once in every batch, I lose control of the siphon hose and squirt something all over the patio. Except one batch, when a bottle shattered in the capper. I don't know which is worse, wasting beer at bottling, or cleaning up sticky wort...

My "favorite" mistake is forgetting to put the bazooka filters in before mashing or boiling. Real PITA.

I always hang the chiller upsidedown when storing, after taking a "spit" in the butt once.

Other than breaking a carboy or getting a shot of "jet wash" in the face, my worst was while boiling up a raspberry mead on the back yard (2nd story) deck. Whilst s#$t face :drunk: I was inside and forgot about it...can you say "boil over". My red-haired golden retriever was lapping up the stuff beneath the deck while getting showered with the stuff from above. I salvaged the entire batch, spent the rest of the day bathing him, and then the entire week combing his coat out. I named it "Sticky Red", of course :p ! Cheers.

I am ashamed to admit this being an engineer and all. I was brewing a batch (before my wort chilller) and I just decided...hey lets pour the hot wort into my glass carboy. Just don't ask. The whole carboy spider webbed. I carefully lifted the carboy off the kitchen floor and to the bathtub...wheeeww. The I was able to siphon the wort out to a plastic bucket and actually salvage the beer. :cross:

anthrobe said:
I am ashamed to admit this being an engineer and all. I was brewing a batch (before my wort chilller) and I just decided...hey lets pour the hot wort into my glass carboy.
So I'd guess software engineer or EE? :D

Maybe someone whould start a poll to what the ratio of homebrewers are engineers of some sort. I'm not one myself, but this seems to be something that an engineer would gravitate towards. That and chemists . . .

there was a poll here several months ago which asked whether you were in some sort of science or technology field, and (IIRC) it was something like 2/3's "YES".

-walker

Back