Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love having a local tobacconist. :ban:

I was considering checking the suggested websites but.. I've been going to our local shop for a very long time. I'll pay a few extra dollars to support them. I would miss the people. There's always a cop there enjoying a cigar and the owner is very generous with information and supplies. Looking forward to visiting him now and seeing what he's got for this venture.

Mine is 1/2 block away from where I work. A nice stroll. It's also America's oldest tobacco shop (or so it claims). Huge selection of cigars and pipes, and tobaccos. It has a free smoking room and a pay smoking room. The pay smoking room is BYOB and very, very nice.

The nearest one to me is a nice stroll, and an old shop. Used to be a wonderful place to explore. Now they have only 4 jars of cheap bulk blend pipe tobacco. They've pretty much changed themselves into a convenience store that happens to have a large walk-in humidor.

The nearest one to me is a nice stroll, and an old shop. Used to be a wonderful place to explore. Now they have only 4 jars of cheap bulk blend pipe tobacco. They've pretty much changed themselves into a convenience store that happens to have a large walk-in humidor.

Enjoy. :D

The main showroom.
store.jpg

The front room of the private lounge.
lounge-shot1.jpg

The back room of the private lounge.
Landmark.png

I have an cheap old and used dr grabow that a friend gave me after fitting it with a long stem. Probably overall less expensive than the tobacco I've put thru it in the last month, and it burns cleaner, cooler, and more thoroughly than my $100+ meerschaum.

I agree that a more expensive pipe will not really be any better, just find a pipe that fits you and invest the extra cash into good tobacco. :mug:

Ditto to the above.

I've a cheap Dr. Grabow, an inexpensive meerschaum churchwarden, a homemade cob, and a Dutch freehand Preben Holm pipe.

The best smokers are the cob and the Preben Holm.

Gila, you'll have to post how you like the Dunhill's and the Escudo. Those were also on my list, but ended up getting the back seat to the Esoterica and Balkan.

I had seriously considered ordering a tin of the SG Black XX Rope but found something inherently wrong about the idea of having it in my mouth.

Gah. I just realized how much rubbing out 7 tins is going to take.

Don't think I've done that much in one sitting since high school.

I think I may have posted in this thread months ago, but CAD's pic of his pipe made me wonder, yet again, where my pipe has run off to.

I'm a whiskey cavendish guy, always have been. It's what my uncle bob smoked.

You could always just roll or fold...

Never had much luck that way. Not relaxing.

I pack a pretty loose drawn pipe for easy smoking. I don;t smoke in front of the wife or kids, ever, and have little time for finishingh off a bowl in a sitting unless they are away, which is rare.

Most often I'll pack it up smoke off it for a minute or two and set it aside to snuff itself out and repeat that a time or two until it either loses it appeal or is smoked out.

I wish I had some idea as to what my grandfather smoked. Some day, if I happen to stumble into it.. I'm sure it'll be immediate emotion.

I remember the days when my father smoked a pipe. I was mesmerized by the layers of drifting smoke threads in the room highlighted by beams of sunlight through the windows.

I do not remember the aroma, nor do I remember any image of him with pipe.

Don't know if I posted these before or not, but this was my most recent pipe acquisition. It's a Preben Holm Danish freehand. Picked it up as an estate pipe for a very nice price. It's larger than any other pipe I have, but it fits very well in my hand. It also smokes very well. Easily my favorite pipe.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Don't know if I posted these before or not, but this was my most recent pipe acquisition. It's a Preben Holm Danish freehand. Picked it up as an estate pipe for a very nice price. It's larger than any other pipe I have, but it fits very well in my hand. It also smokes very well. Easily my favorite pipe.

I think you have. It's still a nice pipe.

I prefer the bulldog or rhodesian shaped pipes, medium sized bowl, bent stem.

I really like the Grabow Cardinal smooth pipe. Small bowl. Perfect for a quick smoke.

He motioned to my left and showed me the Esoterica blends they had (everything except Penzance and Stonehaven), and told me they don't advertise on their website as they want to sell them to people who will smoke them and not just flip them on ebay. I love having a local tobacconist. :ban:

Ha, I had a friend go into Grant's Pipes once and ask about a tin of Penzance. I had seen it on their website and asked her if she would grab it. Apparently the guy was confused by this woman asking about Penzance, glanced around nervously and then went to the back to fetch it from it's "hiding" spot.

Mine is 1/2 block away from where I work. A nice stroll. It's also America's oldest tobacco shop (or so it claims). Huge selection of cigars and pipes, and tobaccos. It has a free smoking room and a pay smoking room. The pay smoking room is BYOB and very, very nice.

Is it Iwan Ries?

Ha, I had a friend go into Grant's Pipes once and ask about a tin of Penzance. I had seen it on their website and asked her if she would grab it. Apparently the guy was confused by this woman asking about Penzance, glanced around nervously and then went to the back to fetch it from it's "hiding" spot.

Is it Iwan Ries?

Yep.

On the way home I picked up some DNR, Old Rasputin, and a bottle of Ruby Port.

Sat on back patio, slow grilled some Korean short ribs (they were fantastic), sipped on port and a pipe.

A fantastic way to end the work day and start the home night.

Had a rough weekend and was really craving cigarettes yesterday so I packed a pipe instead. Probably should've taken a picture to share what I have, but it isn't anything special. Had some Viking Gold. It doesn't taste as good as it smells when my friend smokes it. I think I really need to remember to find some pipe cleaners and give it a good clean.

I still have to work on packing it though. The first quarter/half burns really fast until I poke it down a little with a match and relight it. The last half burns very nice and a lot longer. A trip to the smoke shop might do me good. Being able to pick up something I want to try and a quick talk with the owner might clear some things up and help me better enjoy the hobby.

I smoked a bowl of the Margate yesterday. I'm not one who can pick out all the different flavor profiles of a tobacco like some reviewers I see. However, the Margate was a fantastically smooth tobacco. It burned well, and smoked well. Very cool and smooth smoke. The aroma in the tin is not one I particularly care for, but that didn't translate over to the pipe.

Next up, the Sasieni.

Speaking of lost art,

I was inspecting my collection of pipes, cleaning them out, checking the bowls, stems, etc...

Found a couple of my earliest pipes that I, apparently, smoked a bit too hot and caused some burnout. Also have a few cob pipes that could use some bowl work too.

Gonna have to light the fireplace next weekend to make up some pipe mud/cement from the ash. So, just a bit of a PSA to you guys, check your pipes for cracking and burning out. Now is a good time to make those repairs if you've a fireplace full of wood ash.

I don't have a fireplace full of wood ash.. but what is burning out?

Burning out is a condition where the structure of the pipe bowl itself begins to burn as a result of wood defects, smoking too hot, scraping aggressively, or improper break in of a new pipe.

Usually revealed by a too hot to touch bowl while smoking.

If not caught and repaired, it can burn through the pipe completely. Here is a pick of what I discovered this weekend on an old pipe. Mind you, this is not my pipe but it is identical to what I found.

82408.gif

Burn out can also be caused by aggressive use of lighters. Another reason why matches are preferred.

Haddo's has to be a top 3 favorite for me. Got a tin from '07 I've been rationing out to myself.

I just cracked the tin and tried for the first time last week, it has really grown on me and I will have a hard time staying out of the jar... I have heard reports that it is better fresh and I haven't tried to compare yet, but I feel it is amazing aged.

Not a bad looking pipe at all! Whatcha got stuffed in there?

It is just Viking Gold, it's all I've got.. my friend gave it to me when he gave me the pipe. I may be in the area of our smoke shop tonight, to pick up some pet supplies, and if that is the case I will have to stop in and get some stuff. I need some pipe cleaners, I think since I haven't cleaned it yet it is throwing off the taste. The viking he gave me, thinking may be really cheap. Doesn't taste like much. Though I may still be expecting the chemical taste of cigarettes when I smoke.

I'm going to see if I can find any of the tobacco I've seen listed here, or at least get something really strong or aromatic. Not sure what the deal is still, but I have found that if I only pack it halfway, it stays lit and burns nicely.

It is just Viking Gold, it's all I've got.. my friend gave it to me when he gave me the pipe. I may be in the area of our smoke shop tonight, to pick up some pet supplies, and if that is the case I will have to stop in and get some stuff. I need some pipe cleaners, I think since I haven't cleaned it yet it is throwing off the taste. The viking he gave me, thinking may be really cheap. Doesn't taste like much. Though I may still be expecting the chemical taste of cigarettes when I smoke.

I'm going to see if I can find any of the tobacco I've seen listed here, or at least get something really strong or aromatic. Not sure what the deal is still, but I have found that if I only pack it halfway, it stays lit and burns nicely.

I usually try to discourage new pipe smokers from smoking aromatic tobaccos. The chemical toppings make for a pleasant smelling smoke but usually don't taste very good. There are always exceptions, but generally speaking. English and Balkan blends have very strong flavors and can be very smoky with the type of fire cured leaf they use, I love them when the weather is cooler. If they have some bulk tobaccos, grab a little of the ones that sound and smell best to you and try a bunch of different things.

If they have some bulk tobaccos, grab a little of the ones that sound and smell best to you and try a bunch of different things.

They do, as far as I know.. question on that though. My buddy told me that I should stick with one type of tobacco per pipe. Well, I am not about to have a collection of pipes for each different kind. Is it really that bad to use different kinds in the same piece?

I can't see it being an issue. Flavor-wise right now, the biggest concern I have is that it tastes burnt or like ash at the moment. Assuming due to it not being cleaned yet, even though I've only used it a half dozen times.

They do, as far as I know.. question on that though. My buddy told me that I should stick with one type of tobacco per pipe. Well, I am not about to have a collection of pipes for each different kind. Is it really that bad to use different kinds in the same piece?

I can't see it being an issue. Flavor-wise right now, the biggest concern I have is that it tastes burnt or like ash at the moment. Assuming due to it not being cleaned yet, even though I've only used it a half dozen times.

It is best with briars to have pipes that you use for different types of tobacco. I have VA dedicated pipes, english/balkan dedicated pipes, aromatic pipes, etc. They suggest that because a pipe can "ghost" from the previous tobacco used, especially aromatics. Vodka or grain alcohol soaked cleaners run through the stem until they are clean will help that a great deal. I always clean my pipes stems after each smoke as soon as the pipe cools to make it easier. Estate pipes get the bowl reamed and then filled with salt and soaked with vodka to draw out the "ghosts". I cob or two are great to have while building up your supply of pipes. They don't ghost like briar does and they don't require the rest between smoking that briars should have.

Pipe purists will suggest that you MUST dedicate a pipe for aromatics, a pipe for cased, pipe for virginia, etc...

And sure, it does make sense. Tobacco can be very subtle on it's own, and very pronounced when cased.

Others are staunch advocates for resting a pipe after each smoke, another need for multiple pipes. None of my pipe smoking ancestors did this.

I do have a collection of pipes. Cheap ones. And I do rotate through my collection. But not after every smoke. At most, I use one pipe the full day and rotate to another the next day.

I've never been one to choose a certain pipe for a certain tobacco either.

I also keep an old coffee jar for leftover tobacco. When the tin is low enough that I can't pack a full bowl I just dump the leftovers in the jar. Everything goes in, and it has made for a wonderful, ever changing, mixture of "house tobacco". Current jar has a mix of everything from straight virginia, to oriental blend, to cased Blue Note, to cheap heavy cavendish Captain Black White. Has become my go to blend.

None of my pipe smoking ancestors did this.

I see how it makes sense, I just don't want to over-complicate things. Right now, I'm just doing it to deflect cigarette cravings and it is fairly relaxing. The other thing I love is that it does not make my clothes stink. I might just get used to using it, cleaning it, and try out a bunch of different tobacco's. I'd like to get one of those house blends going and then use the pipe for that.. maybe by that time I can get another one to use for something nicer.

Is there a good way to store a pipe? I don't like to leave it sitting out, so I just put it in a small container.

I see how it makes sense, I just don't want to over-complicate things. Right now, I'm just doing it to deflect cigarette cravings and it is fairly relaxing. The other thing I love is that it does not make my clothes stink. I might just get used to using it, cleaning it, and try out a bunch of different tobacco's. I'd like to get one of those house blends going and then use the pipe for that.. maybe by that time I can get another one to use for something nicer.

Is there a good way to store a pipe? I don't like to leave it sitting out, so I just put it in a small container.

I just leave mine out. In the garage on a shelf. After I smoke it, I leave it to cool, and then clean it out so it'll be clean by time I get back to it.

At the very least, I would not worry about having a dedicate pipe for each tobacco, but do try to at least deep clean it before you switch to a different tobacco. Flavors do carry but it does not bother me except for a particularly nasty tobacco (Captain Black Cherry, for example). But it is usually foul enough that I'd choose to not smoke that blend again and I just deep clean the pipe before I load it with something else.

Don't get me wrong, there is some very sound rationale behind dedicating pipes and rotating through a collection. Just like there is sound rationale behind glassware for beer. Neither are habits that I practice.

Back