Air Lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farley23

Reaction score
Not the best Boy Scout - have an American Lager in secondary fermenter. Brewing SN Torpedo clone now.

Problem is only have one air lock. Is it ok to put an sandwich plastic baggie over the neck of the glass carboy secondary fermenter?

Anything that will keep bacteria out will work. A balloon was common when I first made wine. Sanitized is preferred but if it doesn't touch the beer it won't matter much as long as it is clean.

Actually, I'd suggest putting the tin foil on the new brew. Once you get highly active yeast, the whole thing exhales pretty speedily, keeping most crud from getting inside the fermenter, whereas the beer in secondary is probably not nearly as active. I'd also invest in a few extra airlocks asap. :p

Actually, I'd suggest putting the tin foil on the new brew. Once you get highly active yeast, the whole thing exhales pretty speedily, keeping most crud from getting inside the fermenter, whereas the beer in secondary is probably not nearly as active. I'd also invest in a few extra airlocks asap. :p

you're right!! Didn't think I'd be brewing so soon after the American Lager! But I saw a thread on homebrewtalk about the SN Torpedo clone that I had to try!

Back