Prickly Pear Fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeadWitch

Reaction score
I took precautions but still ended up with a few stickers in the fingers and clothing when I harvested some prickly pear fruit (tunas) tonight. Have I about 13 lbs sitting on my kitchen table waiting to be peeled. I am just gonna peel for now, then freeze them for later. I will cook them when I am ready to add to my secondary. I figure I will have about 8 to 9 lbs to work with when it is all said and done. Has anybody started their prickly pear mead yet this summer? Any tips anyone wants to share are welcomed.

My girlfriends brother lives outside George West down by Corpus Christi. He has promised to harvest about 20 pounds of fruit for me. He is going to just freeze them until the next time he comes this way. I have never used them before but want to try a prickly pear mead myself. I am really interested in and recipees. tips, or advice.

How do you cook them-for how long?

I have my five gallon batch sitting in secondary at this time! I used six pounds of pears in primary with eighteen lbs of honey. I blended up the pears and boiled them for an hour or so I think! Then strained them into the wort. My only problem is the summer temps in the house have been in the upper 80s a few times. I think I will need to age this for at least a year. It also cleared quickly and the color is great!

Hmmm, you're scaring me a little.

We made the prickly pear mead from the Papazian book, and we didn't peel or otherwise prep the fruit, as the directions didn't call for it. I really considered it, but since he was specific about using tongs to get the fruit but no mention of peeling, I just went for it and didn't look back.

I will say that while boiling the fruit (for the full two hours as called for), near the end it had more of a vegetable smell. I wouldn't say I'm worrying (that would be forbidden), but the thought is in my head that I may need to make this again for a better result. We'll see in a few months when I rack it to secondary, I guess.

Any thoughts?

I just read the recipe for prickly pear mead the other day and I am very eager to make some. I've never seen any prickly pear fruit around here (North Texas). Does anyone have any idea if there is a place that sells them online?

We bought ours at Fiesta, but they also have it at Central Market, I believe. They were 6 pieces for $1.

My mother-in-law procured the honey for us from her mother's land (which is rented out to beekeepers!).

I would be a little concerned about the little pricklys! Even after the big ones are removed there are still a bunch of micro ones left. Who knows about the skin? I would think that being you boiled it all for a few hours its probably OK. People put just about everything else on the planet in there mead so whats wrong with a little skin? Maybe filter it real good when its time for bottling?

Pick em with tongs, burn off the the prickles with a gas burner BEFORE freezing. I have 8 lbs from last year that i did not deprickle.. Ill have to deal with that sooner or later, but I heard that if frozen, they will "melt" due too the cellular structure breaking down by freezing.. giant mess if you heat them up over a flame. I just ordered 5gallons of orange blossom, and they will be used for my next mead.

Well, I will tell you I will not do prickly pear again. We are continuing to find the wee little buggers everywhere. Evidently, we brought some of the stickers in on our sandals, now just walking across the carpet is an adventure. lol I found one on my nose when I woke up 2 days ago.

Even though I burned most of the big stickers off, I know I didn't get all of the fine ones. Right now I am on my 3rd straining of the juice to make sure all of the prickles are out of it. I started with a regular size strainer, then did a fine guage chinois and now I am filtering thru coffee filters. Right now I am sitting on about 1/2 gallon of juice from 13lb of tunas.

I was recently down in Texas and I picket a whole 5 gal bucket full of them. i started to skin them and got fed up with that. I just dipped them in boiling water to soften them up a little bit. then i blended them up into a puree and strained them through a fine strainer. I then canned the finer puree and got 3 large quart jars out of them. I wanted to freeze them but i had to fly home with them. so hopefully they will do. Im plaining on doing a blond with them.

I had no problems what so ever when I cut mine up! Just did a little research on the web and it was all there. Of course I bought mine at the store so the large spines were already removed. If it drinks down like I hear in all the stories, I will make a new batch when my reserves get low!

I was recently down in Texas and I picket a whole 5 gal bucket full of them. i started to skin them and got fed up with that. I just dipped them in boiling water to soften them up a little bit. then i blended them up into a puree and strained them through a fine strainer. I then canned the finer puree and got 3 large quart jars out of them. I wanted to freeze them but i had to fly home with them. so hopefully they will do. Im plaining on doing a blond with them.

A blond? How are you going to do a blond when the puree is bright ruby coloured? Are you talking about the pickly pear pads (nopalitos) or the round barrel shaped fruit (tunas) with the bright red interiors? :confused:

We made the prickly pear mead from the Papazian book, and we didn't peel or otherwise prep the fruit, as the directions didn't call for it. I really considered it, but since he was specific about using tongs to get the fruit but no mention of peeling, I just went for it and didn't look back.

I will say that while boiling the fruit (for the full two hours as called for), near the end it had more of a vegetable smell. I wouldn't say I'm worrying (that would be forbidden), but the thought is in my head that I may need to make this again for a better result. We'll see in a few months when I rack it to secondary, I guess.

Any thoughts?

We think the puree smells like watermelon. lol I will be cooking mine puree today. I think I will only be simmering it for about an hour. A mazer who lives just south of me does his about that long and he has made several batches before.

A blond? How are you going to do a blond when the puree is bright ruby coloured? Are you talking about the pickly pear pads (nopalitos) or the round barrel shaped fruit (tunas) with the bright red interiors? :confused:

Some pears are yellow on the inside! Taste a little like bananna.

I made mine a month ago, and just burned off the needles over the stove with some tongs, and cut the tops off and blended. I boiled for two hours and skimmed off what looked like cactus wax every 5 minutes or so. Mine also smelled like watermelon and now it looks just amazing, I cant stop looking at it, and eveyr time i show someone my fermenation control there eyes automatically go to that carboy and thats usually what is talked about.

Well, I cooked off my prickly pear juice earlier in the week. Instead of boiling it, I simmered it, which reduced it by almost half. There was still a bit of scum on top, so I drained it again and poured it into freezer container to cool. Once cooled, I decided to take a tast of the beautiful potion. Blahhhhhhh! It was horrid!! I can't even describe the taste it was soooooo nasty and I couldn't get the taste out of my mouth! I feel bad because my kids help pick the fruit and watched every step of the way. I don't know if I should waste honey on this. I am wondering if this the way it is suppose to taste? Any comments from the gallery?

So this makes me rethink this as well. I've read about peeling, juicing, chopping, filtering and etc, etc of the fruit.

From what I've eaten of the fruit, the very inside seems to be the sweetest and tastiest part. I am no conniseur though. If you read some about the syrup extraction, it seems like the pulp around the seeds is what you are aiming to fine out to get the very best part of the fruit.

http://books.google.com/books?id=0t...&resnum=4&ved=0CCgQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

Other sources also indicate that the absolute ripeness of the fruit is the key. Imagine eating a not quite ripe peach or apple I guess.

I say go ahead and ferment it up and see what happens.

I'd be interested in seeing what different varieties taste like for experimentation purposes.

GTG

Here's some more about fruit processing for syrup - One method sounds similar to what you may have done.
http://www.azcentral.com/travel/features/articles/2008/09/18/20080918native0919.html

Apache Junction resident Jean Groen has written two cookbooks devoted to ingredients that can be gathered in the Arizona desert, Foods of the Superstitions Old and New and Plants of the Sonoran Desert and Their Many Uses. Her co-author is Don Wells.

Here is her method for making juice: Pour 1 inch of water into a large soup pot, add the fruit and bring to a boil; then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Allow the mixture to cool. Using a potato masher, crush the fruit. Working over the pot, scoop the pulp into a clean old pillowcase. Take the pot outside and hang the pillowcase up so the juice drips back into the pot. When most of the juice has drained through the pillowcase, knead the cloth to extract as much juice as possible. Divide the juice among clean storage containers. It can be refrigerated for up to two weeks or frozen for later use.

The most industrious prickly-pear harvesters use electric juicers. These eliminate the need to cook and mash the fruit, and they quickly separate juice from seeds and pulp. This method produces a thick, pulpy juice. Groen stores hers overnight in a large pot to clarify: The dark nectar settles to the bottom, while pulpy, frothy "mousse" floats to the top. Wolterbeek scoops off the mousse, simmers it down to a thick syrup and uses it as a base for barbecue sauce.

GTG

After reading the link you posted, GTG, I think the fruit was definitely over cooked to the point of being bitter. Still beautiful to look at but I cannot imagine adding it to honey would improve the bitterness much. I saw some huge tunas at the store today, they were as big as avocados. Already cleaned and ready to peel, 5 for a $1. Maybe I will just start over?

Wow, prickly pears are cheap in Texas. Here in CA it's usually around a dollar a fruit. I really wish I had one of them nearby I could just lop them off. I love the flavor and I think a mead with prickly pear could be wonderful.

Any thoughts?

Not to seem rude, but that is totally not how you should do it, and it should be logically apparent. You are trying to get the flavor of the fruit, not of the rind. If you ate a banana, but just ate the peel, it would taste horrible. That is why you have the vegetable smell, because you are only getting flavor from the peel. I would ditch it and start over. It si going to taste how it smells.

Well Ive been wanted to do this for awhile after reading Papazians JOHB... never could find Mesquite honey in quantity. Anywho, I order 5gal of orange blossom honey. I got my first mead session going last week (3g pinapple, 3g spicy orange, 1g show, and 1g summersoltice's chai spiced cyser). I have another gallon of orange blossom honey left over, so I thought Id do a 3gal batch of Prickly Pear. I found a few prickly pear cactii with mad fruiting and collected a 7gal bucket full (~30lbs worth.. I only used 7.5lbs); most were 2.5" long and deep purple.
IMG_8126.jpg

So I grabbed them with the tongs and dropped them in boiling water (6 at a time) for about 10-15 secs, and then cut the ends off all 6. Then one by one, I held them with my fingers and sliced off the skin of the tunas. It looked like I slaughtered Barney the Dinosaur in my kitchen!!! 28 of the size I had was about 2.5# of peeled fruit. I ran those 28 tunas through the juicer (those seeds are HARD and did some damage to my old juicer!) and it yielded about 1/5g per 2.5# of peeled fruit. I did this 3x and got little over 1/2 gal of juice. Brix was 9.0 (SG 1.037).
IMG_8141.jpg

Do I need to boil this, or can I just sulfite it?

Well Ive been wanted to do this for awhile after reading Papazians JOHB... never could find Mesquite honey in quantity. Anywho, I order 5gal of orange blossom honey.

Where do you get your honey? I'm on the hunt for the cheapest I can find for mead making.

Bowie is up by Dallas, if im not mistaken. 5gal orange blossom was $165 delivered from Millers... so thats about $32/gal. I think Im going to do the next round of mead with Round Rock wildflower honey, and then try backsweetening with the varietal types of honey.

Bowie is up by Dallas, if im not mistaken. 5gal orange blossom was $165 delivered from Millers... so thats about $32/gal. I think Im going to do the next round of mead with Round Rock wildflower honey, and then try backsweetening with the varietal types of honey.

Good luck with that. I don't care for RR honey. I get mine from GoodFlow on east Cesar Chavez.

Hmm.. thats right by where I live; I called them once and they said they only wholesale and wouldnt be able to sell to me.. plus I had heard that their honey was imported, but that could totally be unfounded... not sure where I heard that, but it was a couple of years ago. My first batch of mead was RR honey, and after a 1.5 years and some acid blend, tastes pretty good (outside of the fusels from warm fermentation). Maybe Ill try GoodFlow again.

I get mine here locally in Austin. I think it is priced reasonably, $28 a gallon for central Texas Wildflower. Tastes amazing. Where is Bowie, Texas?

Bowie is a very small town between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls. How many pounds are in a gallon of honey? I need 15 pounds for the recipe I'm going to make and that's around $50 at our local Wal-Mart.

Hmm.. thats right by where I live; I called them once and they said they only wholesale and wouldnt be able to sell to me.. plus I had heard that their honey was imported, but that could totally be unfounded... not sure where I heard that, but it was a couple of years ago. My first batch of mead was RR honey, and after a 1.5 years and some acid blend, tastes pretty good (outside of the fusels from warm fermentation). Maybe Ill try GoodFlow again.

I have a friend in the grocery biz and she got it for me. My first honey came from St. Pat's of Austin, but they no longer sell to the public, only online. They had the best Huajillo honey! It was down right awesome! :rockin:

Latest posts

Back