Noob Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smmcdermott

Reaction score
I received some kits for Christmas and got some liquid yeasts with them. I have a flask as well and was curious if I could use regular table sugar for a starter and if so, how much for a standard 1 L starter?

I am new to the starters (have used dry yeast mostly) and was wondering if you can not use regular table sugar why not? Just want to learn all I can.

Thanks for your time!! :mug:

you can use sugar but you will HAVE to add some yeast nutrient or the yeast will starve.

but with that said really use the DME. during the starter process the yeast are making the enzymes they need to break down the sugars in the wart. if you use table sugar the yeast will only have the enzymes for the one sugar and will be stressed when you add them to the wart, which will have a completely different sugar makeup. they will have to pull double duty of fermenting and adjusting to their new sugary environment.

haha, well gee thanks, but that does not answer my question of why not?

I ask b/c I do not have extra DME or LME right now and there is no LHBS in my area so I have to wait a while to get it from an online store.

Suggestions?

Thank you tipsydragon, that helped a lot. Is there anything I can use in substitution of DME?

I've heard that some people have found Malta Goya in supermarkets and used that.

You can "steal" some of the DME from the kits. You only need about 1/2 cup of DME per 2 cups of water to make a starter. That's what I'd do if I didn't have a spare bag. Or make a starter from some of the extract from one kit, and then just get more later.

you can use LME. lol. but you don't have any of that. i have heard of people finding malt extract at the local grocery store. i've never looked myself no idea where it would be.

you can use LME. lol. but you don't have any of that. i have heard of people finding malt extract at the local grocery store. i've never looked myself no idea where it would be.

What grocery store was that at? I'd love to have one here.

Sorry to the OP for not giving an explanation. I must have missed that part.

like i said i've never looked and only heard of people doing this. if i where to make a guess i would say the large chains might have it, Ralphs, Stater Bros, etc.

alright, well this helps me anyway. The kits are extract with LME in them. I will order some DME and wait for it to arrive before doing a liquid yeast kit.

What kind of DME is best to use or does it not matter? Will it add any flavor to the beer?

alright, well this helps me anyway. The kits are extract with LME in them. I will order some DME and wait for it to arrive before doing a liquid yeast kit.

What kind of DME is best to use or does it not matter? Will it add any flavor to the beer?

You could use LME instead of DME- it doesn't matter. They are both fine.

Anyway, I always use "light" or "extra light" for my starters. It's a very small amount of the total volume, so it really doesn't matter, but I think it's the most neutral tasting and colored.

thank you yooperbrew. I will still wait because I do not want to have to order some more LME because I used some in a starter, but did order 3 pounds extra light DME and do one of the other kits this weekend.

Back