To pitch or not to pitch... that is the question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nissed as a pewt

Reaction score
Panicing a bit...

My 5 gal primary is full of fermenting apples that are going mental! And have been since I pitched on Thursday evening. There is a cap of apple pulp on top which is much less deep than it was earlier in the week, but at 1060 its not ready for racking into secondary.

I have some blackberrys which I prepared and primed with nutrient yesterday afternoon sat in a large stainless cooking pot, its been there about 28hrs so ready for me to pitch (recipie says 24hrs). Thing is I'm not confident there is room enough in the pot for the swell after adding yeast. I've been cought out with the apples still needing my primary and the fruit making more juice than expected for me to pitch in my large stainless pot.

How long can I leave it before pitching my yeast? ie will it spoil after 48hrs? Will it be ok to add the yeast and split between 2 large stainless pots until the primary becomes available? Or should I rack the apples now, sanitise my primary and use that? I guess there is about a litre of space above the juice Im making a gallon batch.

Thanks for the help

Apple juice will ferment crazily more than 3 days in primary!
2 questions -
Did you use a plastic brew bucket for primary?
Can the blackberries be frozen?

Yes a 5 gal plastic bucket, they are still going crazy Although at 1060 it has a time to go before it goes into demijons.

The blackberrys have been dropped into boiling water and mashed. I added a campden tab, acid blend, sugar and yeast nutrient so guess not freezable?

Is it such an issue to split the juice after pitching?

Freeze them, there isn't anything live in the batch. When the bucket is available, thaw and pitch.

Thanx for the advice, I panicked and pitched before going to bed, I decided there was probably enough room in my pot for the swell but left it in the sink just in case! Luckily on ispection this morning all is well and there is plenty of room in the pot.

The blackberrys don't seem anywhere near as volitile as the apples are.

How much of an issue is not stirring/the cap drying out? I ask as I have to go away for a few days Thurs till Sun/Mon.

Is it ok to leave my brews unattended in the primaries (4 days) or best to syphen them into secondaries before i go, their SG's are curently under 1020 but are likely to drop below this and become prone to oxidisation whilst I'm away.

Back