My first batch of Belgian White (worries)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flucky07

Reaction score
I got my first batch of Belgian White in the fermentor. I worked on the beer on saturday and will not be checking it until today at ~6:00. I wasnt home for 2 days. What should i expect when i go down stairs i used liquid yeast and its been about 38hrs down stairs now. I put the water in the thing that goes on the airtight hole but have not checked it. The instructions just said leave it go for 2 weeks. So thats what i figured i would do. I didnt know to check it until today when reading.

What should i do when i go down or expect to see in the basement?

Flucky07 said:
I got my first batch of Belgian White in the fermentor. I worked on the beer on saturday and will not be checking it until today at ~6:00. I wasnt home for 2 days. What should i expect when i go down stairs i used liquid yeast and its been about 38hrs down stairs now. I put the water in the thing that goes on the airtight hole but have not checked it. The instructions just said leave it go for 2 weeks. So thats what i figured i would do. I didnt know to check it until today when reading.

What should i do when i go down or expect to see in the basement?

My only "rager" started showing signs within a few hours of brewing. It blew the top off the bucket SEVERAL times. We need to know what kind and size of a carboy you're using.

Most likely, nothing will happen since Whites are generally low in fermentables to begin with. Most likely you'll check on it and see nothing but your carb-lock bubbling happily. Worse case scenario, you're mopping the ceiling.

Cheesefood said:
My only "rager" started showing signs within a few hours of brewing. It blew the top off the bucket SEVERAL times. We need to know what kind and size of a carboy you're using.

Most likely, nothing will happen since Whites are generally low in fermentables to begin with. Most likely you'll check on it and see nothing but your carb-lock bubbling happily. Worse case scenario, you're mopping the ceiling.

Well my mom said nothing about a boom so thats good. What do you mean by carboy? im confused a little

Belgian White

Our thirst-quenching wheat beer is a authentic rendition of this classic style. While the wheat has a mild flavor, the coriander, bitter Curacao, and Belgian yeast give it its distinctive taste. The wheat malt extract imparts a cloudy pale gold color, topped with a light frothy head.

Ingredients
8 lb. Alexander's Wheat Malt Extract (2 cans)
1 oz. Tettnang Hops (Bittering)
1 oz. Crushed Coriander (Finishing)
½ oz. Bitter Curacao (Orange Peel) (Finishing)
Wyeast # 3944 Belgian White Yeast

Procedure
Before starting, make sure your liquid yeast will be ready to add to the beer. Plan on putting your fermenter where the temperature is within the temperature range listed on the Wyeast yeast package.

Soak the cans of malt extract in hot water for 20-30 minutes so that the syrup will be easier to pour.
Put 1 1/2 gallons of water in your kettle and bring to boil.
Right before the water starts to boil, remove the kettle from heat and add the cans of malt extract. Keep the kettle off the burner and stir until the malt extract is completely dissolved.
Put the pot back on the burner and bring it to a boil. Avoid messy boil-overs by reducing heat or momentarily removing the pot from heat. Once boiling commences, add the bittering hops (if using whole hops or plug hops place in a muslin bag) and boil for 1 hour (set a timer).
50 minutes from when the boil started, add the coriander and Curacao.
After 60 minutes of boiling, turn off the heat.
If you are using whole hops or plug hops remove hops from the kettle, cover your pot and cool in an ice bath (use your sink) for 20 minutes.
After the wort (stuff in your pot) is cool, add 2 gallons of water to sanitized fermenter, add the cooled wort (if using pelletized hops pour through a sanitized strainer), and top up fermenter with additional water to bring total volume to 5 gallons.
Take hydrometer reading (optional).
When the temperature of your wort and fermenter is below 78º F (check your stick-on thermometer strip) add yeast. When using liquid yeast make sure you sanitize the yeast package and scissors.

This is exactly what i did...I have 5oz of dextrose and the lady said i am supposed to add this when i transfer it to my bucket with the spout on it through the syphoner with the sugar on the bottom that way it mixes it with the sugar and then bottle and leave sit for 2 weeks right? I just hope i didnt have to add any dextrose to it with this kit as it didnt say anything...

Flucky07 said:
Belgian White

Our thirst-quenching wheat beer is a authentic rendition of this classic style. While the wheat has a mild flavor, the coriander, bitter Curacao, and Belgian yeast give it its distinctive taste. The wheat malt extract imparts a cloudy pale gold color, topped with a light frothy head.

Ingredients
8 lb. Alexander's Wheat Malt Extract (2 cans)
1 oz. Tettnang Hops (Bittering)
1 oz. Crushed Coriander (Finishing)
½ oz. Bitter Curacao (Orange Peel) (Finishing)
Wyeast # 3944 Belgian White Yeast

Procedure
Before starting, make sure your liquid yeast will be ready to add to the beer. Plan on putting your fermenter where the temperature is within the temperature range listed on the Wyeast yeast package.

Soak the cans of malt extract in hot water for 20-30 minutes so that the syrup will be easier to pour.
Put 1 1/2 gallons of water in your kettle and bring to boil.
Right before the water starts to boil, remove the kettle from heat and add the cans of malt extract. Keep the kettle off the burner and stir until the malt extract is completely dissolved.
Put the pot back on the burner and bring it to a boil. Avoid messy boil-overs by reducing heat or momentarily removing the pot from heat. Once boiling commences, add the bittering hops (if using whole hops or plug hops place in a muslin bag) and boil for 1 hour (set a timer).
50 minutes from when the boil started, add the coriander and Curacao.
After 60 minutes of boiling, turn off the heat.
If you are using whole hops or plug hops remove hops from the kettle, cover your pot and cool in an ice bath (use your sink) for 20 minutes.
After the wort (stuff in your pot) is cool, add 2 gallons of water to sanitized fermenter, add the cooled wort (if using pelletized hops pour through a sanitized strainer), and top up fermenter with additional water to bring total volume to 5 gallons.
Take hydrometer reading (optional).
When the temperature of your wort and fermenter is below 78º F (check your stick-on thermometer strip) add yeast. When using liquid yeast make sure you sanitize the yeast package and scissors.

This is exactly what i did...I have 5oz of dextrose and the lady said i am supposed to add this when i transfer it to my bucket with the spout on it through the syphoner with the sugar on the bottom that way it mixes it with the sugar and then bottle and leave sit for 2 weeks right? I just hope i didnt have to add any dextrose to it with this kit as it didnt say anything...

UPDATE:

I went in the basement yesterday and it is bubbling every 4-5 seconds. Gives a great sound and its starting to smell pretty darn good...Actually fruity...I will keep you updated....

That dextrose is for carbonating your brew when bottling time arrives. It sounds like everything is going fine but the waiting is usually the hardest part.

Blender said:
That dextrose is for carbonating your brew when bottling time arrives. It sounds like everything is going fine but the waiting is usually the hardest part.
Yea but its not that hard for me since i am very busy and im working on getting to starting a new brew in 1.7 weeks when i transfer over the other into the bottles...

Latest posts

Back