recipe and starting forced carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingPin

Reaction score
So,
I've done a few batches of fermentation carb'd root beer and they've turned out pretty good.

I've just inherited a fridge, after our upgrade, and am going to move it to my garage to use as my "beer fridge".

I've found some comments on the set up for hose and whatnot but i'm wondering what your recipes and such are like for mixing up forced carb root beer. Are they the same as yeast but more / less sugar? Same Extracts etc? Or do most of you all stick with carbing the water and adding syrup after the fact (seems less impressive than pouring a glass of root beer).

So if I were using extracts I would mix up the sugars and water then dump that into my keg.......let it sit under pressure in my fridge for a few days and then serve it up?

If I recall you mentioned 30PSI for 3 or 4 days then serve from 25ft of 3/16ID line......Could i dump the serving pressure down or should I be keeping it at 30PSI?

Yooper - you have an amazing wealth of knowledge!! TIA! :mug:

I mix up all the ingredients, but leave out the yeast and then force carb.

So if I were using extracts I would mix up the sugars and water then dump that into my keg.......let it sit under pressure in my fridge for a few days and then serve it up?

If I recall you mentioned 30PSI for 3 or 4 days then serve from 25ft of 3/16ID line......Could i dump the serving pressure down or should I be keeping it at 30PSI?

Yooper - you have an amazing wealth of knowledge!! TIA! :mug:

30 psi is the minimum to carb up properly (like soda). I don't think it'd be ready in 3-4 days, probably longer to fully absorb the carbonation level.

If you purge and reset it to another serving pressure, it should foam like a son of a gun. Then need to be turned back up to stay carbed. So it's preferable to keep it at 30 psi (at 40 degrees) the whole time.

Back