Predicamet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffoC6

Reaction score
I just hit up a new liquor store on my way home from the LHBS. I'm brewing Ed Wort's Bavarian Hefeweizen this Sunday, so I'm pretty stoked for that. Anyway, I wanted to see what the new liquor store had to offer. I was thrilled at what I saw.

They had a great selection of bottles, but I noticed that there was also a tiny bar in the back corner. They had some great beers on tap. From Russian River's Imperial Stout, to Lefthand Milk Stout, and my favorite, Firestone Walker Double Jack.

In my excitement, I asked the bartender if they had growlers, which they did. I've never purchased a growler before, so I wasn't really sure what the going rate was for a growler filled with delicious nectar. She charged me a $5 fee for the growler, and then $20 to fill it up with the FW Double Jack. Not bad, I figure.

But here's the dilemma. Tomorrow morning, I'm getting up super early (say 7:30) to drive into New York City with my fiance, brother, his wife, and my mom and dad. We're going to see Jersey Boys on Broadway and then having dinner out. It's going to be a LONG day and LONG night. I don't foresee myself getting home until 10/11:00 tomorrow night. A hangover tomorrow morning would be brutal.

My fiance doesn't drink beer. So I've got a growler full of wonderful FW Double Jack and now I don't know what to do. I hear that if you open it up, you need to drink it in either a session, or in a few days. Since I can't drink the whole damn thing tonight due to tomorrow's plans, and I can't really drink the whole damn thing tomorrow night due to not getting home until late...What would you do? Yea, I know I can drink some of it on Sunday as well, but I don't really like to do a lot of drinking on a school (work) night.

How long do growlers last? If I open it up tonight and have 1 or 2 beers, and then kill it off on Sunday, will it be fine? Should I leave it untouched until next weekend? Or will the carbonation start to dissipate? I wasn't thinking when I purchased it, I was just excited to have a half gallon of one of the best IIPA's I've ever had.

What would you do?

PS- This place said that every Thursday, they'll fill the growler up for $5 with whatever they have on tap that they're trying to get rid of. Sounds like a sweet deal to me, figuring everything I saw on tap was top shelf!

Drink half tonight, and half tomorrow night? Or 1/3 tonight and the rest tomorrow night? It may not be still decently carbed by Sunday.

Tomorrow night just isn't going to happen, Yooper. By the time I get home from the city, I'm going to be DRAGGING.

If you crack it and just have a beer or two, just twist the cap on as tight as possible and hope for the best. I've had growlers stay decent for days without an issue.

If tighten the cap and don't crack it until next weekend, you may be okay carb wise. 4 or 5 days max in my experience.

I really want to have 1 or 2 tonight. I'm leaning towards doing that and then capping it tight and drinking the rest on Sunday.

+1

Super early is more like 4 am

Wow. My alarm clock is set for 4:10.

In my experience, a growler may or may not last a week. I've had some that were fully carbed after about 8 days, but others that were completely flat after two days. They weren't on the same beers, so I don't know what the difference would be. But any which way, I don't think I've ever had one last more than two days after it was opened.

Seeing as how you're $20 into this thing, I wouldn't take the chance on it going flat. You're probably going to have to man up and kill that bad boy. I'm sure it will make for a long day in the city, but will it be worth not drinking it if your beer goes flat? I say half tonight and half tomorrow.

*****UPDATE*****

I've had 2 1/2 Double Jacks. I've already killed half the growler. Hmmmmm....It's only 8:45. Do I keep going, or stop and save the rest for Sunday?

PS- This sh*t is RIDICULOUSlY good

Excuse my ignorance

But WTF is a growler???

A growler is a half gallon jug that you can take to the local bar and have them fill for you for around $20.00. It basically allows you to take tap beer home.

****Update**** (not that anyone really gives a flying f u _ k)

I woke up this morning after drinking just a tad over 1/2 the gallon last night. I'm a little groggy and woozy, but not hungover in the least. I was asleep by around 11:15 and up at 7. A good 8 hours. I just hope that the rest of the Double Jack keeps until tomorrow so I can finish it off.

Latest posts

Back