Smashed the carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
............OK Harry Potter.

Since my wand is in the shop and I must wash with water and stuff, you are funny.

Bucket = BIG OPENING

Carboy/bb = tiny opening.

Seriously, no faries needed. As long as the opening is big enough to pour a scoop of OxyClean in with hot water that thing will be spotless in no time with no scrubbing. A good rinse after and things are set for the next time. I mean, you can just watch that stuff work, nothing short of amazing.

Seriously, no faries needed. As long as the opening is big enough to pour a scoop of OxyClean in with hot water that thing will be spotless in no time with no scrubbing. A good rinse after and things are set for the next time. I mean, you can just watch that stuff work, nothing short of amazing.

Hmmmm! Good to know.

I still prefer my carboy fairies though.;)

For people that primary in carboys with krausen and hop residue, the same holds true?

Hmmmm! Good to know.

For people that primary in carboys with krausen and hop residue, the same holds true?

Have you ever seen a carboy cleaning brush? Works slick as snot on a door knob!

I have one, but never oxyclean.

Cleaning krausen out of my bb 1 time with out oxyclean was enough for me.

Hmmmm! Good to know.

Yes, I primary and Oxyclean. I just did a porter, added the hot water and Oxyclean once I washed the yeasties. The next day I rinsed it and things were spotless.

You couldn't resist what?

Pointing out that they can break, once I was proven wrong on the "hard to clean" point. Just messing with you.

He probably could, if he tried hard enough. :D

I don't oxy my buckets, and I can hardly get the lid off when there is wort/beer in them, but I may take more steps to make sure he can't get to them for a number of reasons.

A word of caution, DO NOT use hot water in glass carboys.

Oxyclean is great though.

And don't wash them after midnight...

Sorry fellas!!! Glass is elegant, you radical "I also like to live dangerously" freaks.

Buckets are cheap, spicketable, WORK, don't shatter dangerously (I think a carboy full of beer breaking anywhere but outside in the yard would be grounds for SUICIDE) and require minimal caution.

I respect you all, but for me.....

I've never broken a glass carboy, but I thought I came close a couple times. I finally switched to a 10 gallon corny keg which lets me move it around without fear, and I can move beer under CO2 instead of siphoning out of a carboy. I pop the poppet valve out of the gas intake and put a 1/2" tube around the fitting with the end sitting in a jar of water/idaphore for a blowoff. I cut the outflow tube off about 1 1/2" so it sits on top of the trub, so I don't get much if any gunk. Works great, no glass anywhere, and my beer never touches oxygen after it gets into the primary.

Pointing out that they can break, once I was proven wrong on the "hard to clean" point. Just messing with you.

Nobody ever said that they couldn't break. The point was that you need to be very careful with them. If for some reason you're clumsy and don't trust yourself, or you make a habit of getting fall down drunk while brewing, then yes, you should probably use buckets.

I have 5 glass carboys and 2 buckets I ferment in, but I rarely use the buckets. Usually only when the carboys are full.

Hint: Get some plastic milk crates to keep your carboys in. They make it very easy to carry them when full.

Nobody ever said that they couldn't break. The point was that you need to be very careful with them. If for some reason you're clumsy and don't trust yourself, or you make a habit of getting fall down drunk while brewing, then yes, you should probably use buckets.

I have 5 glass carboys and 2 buckets I ferment in, but I rarely use the buckets. Usually only when the carboys are full.

Hint: Get some plastic milk crates to keep your carboys in. They make it very easy to carry them when full.

I am not -that- clumsy, and I don't ever drink while brewing. I use buckets because they are cheaper, more convenient, easier to carry, and, IMHO, inherently safer.

A word of caution, DO NOT use hot water in glass carboys.

Oxyclean is great though.

I think what he means is, do not use BOILING water in glass carboys. Hot water from the faucet at about 110-120 (or whatever your hot water heater is set at) should be fine. However, boiling water, when poured into a confined space like a carboy with a small opening requiring a funnel tends to produce steam and that coupled with the normal air that your displacing tends to create a large spout of boiling hot water as they try to escape back through the water filled funnel. I tried this once for fun and was wearing an apron and raincoat with gloves and it soaked the whole basement with boiling ass water. Kinda cool, but also very dangerous. Clearly, if you wanna learn how not to brew, then I'm your man.

Actually, I meant hot tap water. The only way you could safely use hot water at any temp would be to pre heat the carboy evenly before filling it. The stresses caused by uneven heating is enough to break a carboy. Think about it, you start filling the carboy with hot water, the bottom starts to heat while the sides are still cool, the expansion of the glass at the bottom is faster than the sides. This could cause a failure, and possibly a trip to the emergency room.

PBW + warm tap water + hour = clean carboy.

No scrubbing, no PITA.

I do not like the deflection in the BB when they are moved. I do use buckets for primary, but for secondary and lagering i like the limited head space of the carboy.

Actually, I meant hot tap water. The only way you could safely use hot water at any temp would be to pre heat the carboy evenly before filling it. The stresses caused by uneven heating is enough to break a carboy. Think about it, you start filling the carboy with hot water, the bottom starts to heat while the sides are still cool, the expansion of the glass at the bottom is faster than the sides. This could cause a failure, and possibly a trip to the emergency room.

That is in no way possible. Room temperature is about 70F and the hottest tap water is maybe 120F if you're nuts enough to put it that high. a 50F temp differential could in no way cause glass to shatter. If it did, then people would be routinely breaking wine glasses and pint glasses when they do the dishes. Both of those glasses have thinner glass than a carboy.

It is certainly possible and you should always try to minimize the thermal shock to glass. Glass vessels are often broken when one doesn't heed this advice.

Honestly, anything is possible and glass can shatter from thermal shock, but the possibility is virtually nonexistent. I shouldn't go spouting off that it's entirely impossible. When glass fails due to thermal shock it's usually due to a thicker bottom that actually expands slower, not faster, than the sides of that glass vessel or it's due to a preexisting crack or chip that expands due to thermal shock. The big 6.5 gallon carboys are a uniform thickness all the way around the sides and on the bottom. The 5 and 6 gallon carboys are the same except for those ribs running up and down and around the sides. There isn't a huge difference in thickness between the sides and bottom for thermal shock to exploit and unless you've decided to use a cracked/chipped carboy then most people won't have integrity issues with their carboys. The idea that glass can break due to a 50 degree differential is theoretically possible, but only in extenuating circumstances. There's no need to scare everyone with your doomsday prophecies that their carboys will break if not properly preheated. If you take good care of your glass carboys and don't hit them against tubsides, then they won't shatter. I have several friends who've been homebrewing for 10+ years each and none of them have ever had a carboy shatter when cleaning with hot water and a lukewarm carboy. I'd be interested to see if there are people out there who've managed to break a carboy like this?

That is in no way possible. Room temperature is about 70F and the hottest tap water is maybe 120F if you're nuts enough to put it that high. a 50F temp differential could in no way cause glass to shatter. If it did, then people would be routinely breaking wine glasses and pint glasses when they do the dishes. Both of those glasses have thinner glass than a carboy.

You're talking about a much smaller glass vessel than a carboy. A large glass vessel has much more surface area than a wine or pint glass, hence the variation of temperature from the bottom to the sides. Glass, like everything else, expands when it's heated. Smaller vessels, such as a beer bottle, will heat (expand) more evenly due to the smaller size.

Once again, I'm asking all people out there if anyone has ever actually experienced a carboy breaking under the incredible strain of a 50F temperature differential? I realize glass can break due to temperature differential. Ancient cultures used temperature differential to quarry stone. However, unless you've decided to use a carboy that's already cracked or chipped and has integrity issues and you don't take care of your equipment or inspect it, this will almost certainly never happen to you.

i dont know how i stumbled into this thread but no I have never experienced it and I do this all the damn time

On my glass fermenters I bought some polyurethane caulk and smeared the bottom with about 1/4" of it so i don't worry about setting it down. I also used silglaze on the perimeter kind of like a spider web pattern. I have now fear now in case they accidentally clank together.

Here's what happened to me 2 years ago when I smashed mine against the side of my tub. Don't worry, don't worry, no beer was harmed just me as I had just finished transferring it to secondary. That damn PBW makes the outside of the carboys pretty slippery. Anyways, I ended up with 19 stitches, 11 across my left toes and 8 more on my left ring finger. Pretty wicked, but it was not because of thermal shock. It was because of physical shock. Anyways, no need to worry, carboys are great and they're amazing for fermentation, but you must treat them with care and with respect because they can cause serious harm if broken.

2010-07-02 09.59.23.jpg

2010-07-02 09.59.18.jpg

2010-07-01 21.38.09.jpg

2010-07-01 21.38.28.jpg

2010-07-02 14.21.44.jpg

78399d1349451245-smashed-carboy-2010-07-02-14.21.44.jpg

I'm staying out of the glass vs. plastic debate, but damn, I think the doc was using you to practice up on his stitching. Been working in machine shops for 40 years and gotten cut worse than that more than once. Peroxide, a gauze pad and some duct tape and you're back to work. :p

Both of the pictures of the cuts were when I was at the hospital already and they had just freshly cleaned the wound. When I was at home, I could see my heart rate in the upsurge and downsurge of blood flowing out of the cuts. Believe me, after 5 years as a lifeguard on Chicago's beaches and getting my Eagle Scout, I knew I had to get stitches for those bad boys and I would've had a paramedic friend of mine do them, if he hadn't been on duty, but instead the nurse practitioner in the ER hooked me up with a $500 bill for stitches. Oh well, live and learn.

Back