basic red ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rexbanner

Reaction score
Hey there,

I am looking for a basic, bare-bones red ale recipe. I plan on modifying it but I look at brewing the same way I look at cooking. If you can cook a tasty chicken cutlet with only some olive oil and salt and pepper, then anything on top of that will be delicious.

Just a basic, cheap recipe is what I want, but in case you have any ideas, I want to brew an american amber ale to be specific. I also want it to be really red looking. I also want to use 1 oz cascade for bittering, 1 oz cascade for aroma, and 1 oz cascade for dry hops. Any problems with this? I really love cascade, I'd sleep on a pillow of them if I could.

Well after looking around I think I might give this a shot:

6 lbs NB amber extract
2 lbs carared
3 oz cascade

Any thoughts?

Skip the amber extract, start with the pale.

Steep:
8oz C120
8oz. C60
1.5oz Chocolate malt (450 SRM)
Maybe some biscuit or victory (8oz.) malt if you want some nutty, biscuity flavors in there.

Adjust the chocolate malt up or down to get the exact color you are looking for.

Double check the IBUs your specific application of Cascade will give you. You would like your IBU:OG ratio to be between .7 and 1 depending on how bitter you would like it.

Skip the amber extract, start with the pale.

Steep:
8oz C120
8oz. C60
1.5oz Chocolate malt (450 SRM)
Maybe some biscuit or victory (8oz.) malt if you want some nutty, biscuity flavors in there.

Adjust the chocolate malt up or down to get the exact color you are looking for.

Double check the IBUs your specific application of Cascade will give you. You would like your IBU:OG ratio to be between .7 and 1 depending on how bitter you would like it.

No carared? I really want a red color. Also, what's wrong with amber extract? That way I can skip the C60/C120. Would you recommend an oz or two of roasted barley?

Just to give you an idea of what I'm trying to do...I like really cheap, simple extract brews. Every dollar counts, because as soon as it gets towards 25 bucks, I would rather just do an AG batch and go all-out on a fancy beer.

I also use extract brews to experiment and try new things. That's why I want to try the triple cascade. I want something that makes me salivate with each sip.

Thanks for the help.

Honestly I have never used carared. It is a caramel malt, and I am sure it will work, but I think 2lbs is way too much. Even 1lb of caramel malt is too much in 5 gal IMO.

I always suggest using the light malt extract since you know that is just basically base malt. That way if you want to go to all grain or need to switch extract brands you do not have to figure out what is in the amber extract and in what proportions.

The specialty grains I mentioned will cost all of like $3, should not really cost much more than any other option.

Honestly I have never used carared. It is a caramel malt, and I am sure it will work, but I think 2lbs is way too much. Even 1lb of caramel malt is too much in 5 gal IMO.

I always suggest using the light malt extract since you know that is just basically base malt. That way if you want to go to all grain or need to switch extract brands you do not have to figure out what is in the amber extract and in what proportions.

The specialty grains I mentioned will cost all of like $3, should not really cost much more than any other option.

What I picked up from reading threads on carared use is that you should make it about 20% of your bill, or even more than that. I could be wrong but I don't think it contributes that much maltiness, mostly just color.

Anyways your reasoning makes sense. What if I did:

6 lbs lme
2 lbs carared
1 lb c60
+a little roasted barley if this doesn't get me the color I want

I really still think that is way too much crystal malt. Even in the biggest (1.070) red ales, I would never go over 15% crystal malts. You are pushing 33% crystal malt here, way too much.

What I picked up from reading threads on carared use is that you should make it about 20% of your bill, or even more than that. I could be wrong but I don't think it contributes that much maltiness, mostly just color.

I think you got that wrong, its generally a 20% max on cara malts

Latest posts

Back