how to use crushed rye grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOBTHEukBREWER

Reaction score
Hi, I have been given 30 lbs of crushed rye grain, with the advice not to add more than 5% to the mash, that is only 6 oz per 6 gallon brew. does anybody have a recipe for using more than this, please. And has anybody ever brewed a brew using only crystal malt?

Is the rye malted or unmalted? That will make a big difference in how you need to use it. You can use as much of it as you want. To really taste the rye you need somewhere over 10% of the grain bill, maybe closer to 20 or 30%.

An all crystal beer won't result well.

I was given it by the owner of a commercial brewery, he had used some of the sack a few weeks previously.

Make a bigger batch if you can, but otherwise I just made a rye at 30% that is in primary. RICE HULLS!!! Use 'em! My Recipe is here and I am hoping it comes out. It used up 3.5lbs. It will only take you 10 batches to get rid of it :D

Make a 50-50 Rye and Barley beer. Super Spice!

Don't forget those rice hulls! Use at least a pound for 5 gallons.

I haven't had to use any rice hulls in anything except for a beer that was 100% wheat. If you are less than 50% rye, you can probably get away without the rice huls.

That's lucky, as I don't believe rice hulls are available in UK, would wheat bran do the same job?

Back