Blackberry Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dejay2

Reaction score
Need Yoppers help on this one....
I'm making, or trying to make, Blackberry Wine from berries. I've made lots of Wine from Juice. But this my first attempt using berries. I used Kellers recipe for this and everything was going well. I stayed in my primay for five day squeezing the juice from the berries. I move into the secondary, still everything seem to be going well. Airlock was very active till yesterday, Activity has all but stopped. My SG was 1.100 to start. I haven't check it sence, so I really don't know where I'm at as far as that goes. It just seem to me that there should be more activity than there is.
Need your input...
Thank
Dejay

I wouldn't trade in my wife for a lifetime supply of blackberry wine, but it would require thought.
Amazing stuff.
Consider your starting potential alcohol compared to the limits of your yeast.
The yeast may have pissed itself to death.
I've always used EC-1118 for wine, but that's because I prefer a bone dry product.
You also didn't give much of a time frame other than to say it seemed to suddenly stop.

I'd say go with your instinct.
If you are really concerned I'd take an SG reading, sulfite after if you feel the need, and make a judgment call.
You may have had a rapid fermentation, you may have a stuck fermentation.

Based upon the SG either let it rest or try to revive.

BTW on a whim I started a small batch of dandelion wine. I think I racked it early because fermentation stopped almost as soon as I put it in a new container. I'm used to beer where the yeast acts differently. I'll see what happens in a year or so, and if it isn't what I intended I'll chock it up as a learning experience,

Wine IS a different beast than beer. Sometimes it ferments quickly and sometimes very slowly, and with very little apparent activity, and you check it and it's at .990!

I'd follow the advice of Maine Homebrewer if you're concerned- but I'd probably just let it sit until the lees get kind of thick and need to be racked and check it then, maybe in 30-45 days or so.

As far as yeast, I'm using Premier Curvee. Because that is what I've alway used in my wine. As far as time in secondary, it has just been a couple day. I think I'm in my third day now. The first 24 to 36 hours everything seem to be going well. I'll give it a week or so. I'll get back with you on my findings.
Thank for your input
Dejay

Back