St Alphonso's Pancake Breakfast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulthenurse

Fecal Transplant Super Donor
Reaction score
Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah
Alphonso was a reluctant monk. What he really wanted to do was jump the bones of the hottie down at the local bakery. But instead he spent his days chanting, praying and cooking breakfast for the rest of the monks. In the afternoon he helped Brother Zappa make the beer to sell to the townsfolk. Not for nuttin' but every Tuesday the hottie from the bakery showed up at the Monestary and bought a few bottles of Alphonso's beer for her father, the village baker. Alphonso used to climb up into the bell tower and watch her climb up the hill. Oddly enough, on Tuesday afternoons the bell semed to ring out on it's own. Brother Spanky, the official ringer of the bell, was always busy doing something else and nowhere near the bell tower on the occasions this occured, and so Brother Buzz, the head monk, declared it a miracle. (Can I get an amen? AMEN!)

Shortly thereafter, the bakers daughter married the millers son, pushed out 5 kids in 7 years and gained 45 pounds. Alphonso didn't want to renounce his vows, so he threw himself into his work, cooking breakfast and brewing. Alphonso was in mourning, yet at the same time he was glad. Kinda wierd!

Alphonso's beer was very well received by Brother Buzz, Brother Zappa and all the rest of the monks. Alphonso never again climbed the bell tower. Instead, he cloistered himself in the monkey house ( I mean the monestary) and never spoke again. (He did hiccup a lot.) He spent the remainder of his days perfecting his beer. He used to walk down the hill and buy yeast from the baker, it cost him 5 cents and he had to build a larger amount of yeast from the samller amount of yeast that the baker would sell to him. It was a pain but , WTH, he was a monk, what else did he have to do?) Jeremia might have made some mighty fine wine but Alphonso's beer was so good that after he died (~Still sort of a virgin~) he was declared a saint.

Try making 5 gallos of Saint Alphonso's Pancake Triple. You might just get lucky.

14 lbs. Belgian Pils
0.25 lbs. Belgian Cara-Pils
1.25 lbs. Candi Sugar Clear

1.60 oz. East Kent Goldings (Whole, 5.1 %AA) boiled for 60 min.
0.50 oz. Saaz (Whole, 4.2 %AA) boiled for 5 min

Original Gravity 1.083
Terminal Gravity 1.013
Color 5.55 L
Bitterness 31.1 IBU
Alcohol 9.3 % ABV

Mash at 124 *F for a protein rest for 1/2 hour or so.
Mash at 155 *F for a sacrification rest for one hour
Mash out at 168* F
Sparge however you like, I 've been batch sparging lately and it's been working for me.

Can I get an Amen?

Amen Brother!
I brewed the Westmalle tripel from the BYO clone mag last Sunday. It's a fairly similar recipe to yours.
My brew included a one hour ramp from 132* to 150* with a 20 min. rest and since I was using two separate pots on the stove, I boiled the smaller of the two as a decoction and combined them to mash out. Ended up with an OG of 1.091. I have very high expectations for this beer.

Coincidentally, I've been using my current sig. for about a year, now.;)

Back