Irish Red Ale Sean's House Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyboy84

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
English Strain of Your Choice
Batch Size (Gallons)
5.5 gal
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
1.015-1.008
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
16 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 65 Degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
60 Days @ 68 Degrees
Tasting Notes
Nice malty sweetness. A little thin depending on the yeast
This recipe has become a regular at my place. I have made it several times varying the fermentables and settled on the below.

6 lbs NB Gold Syrup
1 lb Carared
12 oz Caramel 60
4 oz Roasted Barley 300 SRM

1 oz Williamette @ 60 min
1 oz Williamette @ 30 min
1 oz Williamette @ 5 min

Grains Steeped @ 155 for 20 min. Wort transferred to full volume boil for 60 min. LME added at flameout.

The yeast I have varied quite a bit. US-04 worked well a couple times. Notty was a little too thin and I don't like the flavor of it, but if you like it go for it.

I currently have a batch going using Wyeast West Yorkshire 1469. I know this is more of a bitter or ESB yeast but I was interested in what the nut and stone fruit flavors would bring to this recipe. I'll post an update in a couple months when it is ready.

As for the color, this is red. Not kind of red, it's red red. Deep red.

@ Flyboy84

How did the 1469 work for you? I am getting ready to brew this in the next few weeks so that it will be ready by St. Patrick's day. I haven't chosen my yeast just yet and I was curious about how your latest one turned out?

@ Flyboy84

How did the 1469 work for you? I am getting ready to brew this in the next few weeks so that it will be ready by St. Patrick's day. I haven't chosen my yeast just yet and I was curious about how your latest one turned out?

I like this version, and this yeast, a lot. It finaled out about 1.016, so quite a bit higher than other reds which I compensated for with a little more hops. Using notty it got down to 1.008. I think it is kind of an english bitter / irish red hybrid. I will definitely be making this again.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Brewed this today, here's the stats-

Method: Extract + Grain

Steep Temp: 160
Steep Time: 30min
Pre-Steep Volume: 6.2gal
Post-steep Volume: 5.8gal
Post-Steep Gravity: 1.008

Sparged with 150 degree wort over colander a la BIAB method

60min Full Volume Boil

Hop additions per recipe

I added about .25gal water at 15min when I added the chiller and whirlfloc to top up volume to just over 5gal

OG: 1.051

Chilled to 70F pitched the 1469

Primary fermentation will be two weeks in a 6.5gal bucket
Secondary will be 5gal keg

BeerAlchemy predictions:
FG: 1.016
ABV: 5.1%
15.9SRM

Questions:

Curious what the AA was on your Willamettes? I used 4.7% and my BeerAlchemy App gave a finishing IBU of 56.5. According to the same App, the style guidelines for Irish Red and Scottish are 17-28 IBU. Would a higher IBU change the style of this beer to something else? Irish Bitter, maybe? I'm still pretty new so would love to learn.

Looking forward to this one growing up! Will post an update!

Back