Keg tool rental?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milesvdustin

Reaction score
Looking, probably next month or so, to do my new keggle with some soldered couplings. I am going to do two 1/2" couplings and one 1" half coupling for a water heater element. I will also be doing a 1/4" sight glass thermometer combo, but I will probably just go weldless for that one. I am willing to pay $25 plus shipping both ways to borrow the tools from anyone. Trying to save a little cash to put towards my e-brewery build. Thanks! :mug:

For $25 plus shipping you could probably find a local metal worker to do all the work for you.

milesvdustin said:
Looking, probably next month or so, to do my new keggle with some soldered couplings. I am going to do two 1/2" couplings and one 1" half coupling for a water heater element. I will also be doing a 1/4" sight glass thermometer combo, but I will probably just go weldless for that one. I am willing to pay $25 plus shipping both ways to borrow the tools from anyone. Trying to save a little cash to put towards my e-brewery build. Thanks! :mug:

Brother, you only need a grinder with a diamond blade, a step drill and something to take the burr off. It will be a $70 investment. I say investment because if you're anything like me you'll use these tools over and over.

Do I not need to pull a dimple?

its not necessary, but it helps.
if you have a large socket wrench socket to use as a cup, a big 1/2" steel bolt, you can get a "stainless steel butt-weld reducing coupling" (thats what its called) from mcmaster.com for like $20, you can do it yourself and have all the parts.

if you are mounting the water heater element into something flat (not the side of a keg), i would suggest soldering on a welding spud

I plan on putting in a half coupling for the water heater element.

So that welding spud, would they work on a dip tube/ ball valve combo? Or not? And how would I solder that thing on, get it hot and sweat it on? Looks awesome

Back