Philly area Homebrewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone in Glub Club know what yeast were using for the iron brewer competition? I think its 1272 but I was to make sure.

You are correct it was 1272 American ale 2 but keystone is out malt house had some though.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You are correct it was 1272 American ale 2 but keystone is out malt house had some though.

Sadly they're both out. Any ideas where I can get a smack pack by Wednesday?

It's off by a few days but I think keystone get their yeast deliveries on Fridays.

Keystone should have more 1272 by Thursday or Friday... more likely friday. Can we use the White Labs equivalent? I'm not in a rush to brew that beer but for anybody that might be, I know Keystone has White Labs 051 still. At least we did Saturday...

Hurray.... more snow.... with more snow behind it.... and then more after that....

Tell me about it as an outdoor brewer, almost exclusively except for the occasional 2.5 gallon test batch, I'm glad I had a marathon brewnight on Saturday night. Brewed 10 gallons of a Tired Hands Hop Hands clone, and 5 gallons of a Quad that will be going into my Dad's Hat barrel with a group.

The Hop Hands clone is a work in progress, I am going to try to dial it in over the next few months. I plan to start a thread on it if anyone wants to help.

I might try to brew tomorrow or Wednesday. I kicked a few kegs with people hitting my bar pretty hard during a super bowl party. I brew in my garage so it's not that bad. I just need to be able to get up to work (Keystone) to get the ingredients.

Anybody want a Blichmann Hopblocker? I'm looking to get rid of this one pretty cheap...

20140204_124939_zps1qe9ntnp.jpg

20140204_124915_zpszwvx6mpl.jpg

20140204_124845_zpsrjywgldt.jpg

I extended the diptube hole because the diptube in my kettle sits lower than in a Blichmann Boilermaker. Won't effect function on a Boilermaker. Will still fit just fine and still filter and function the same way. I was using this for the short period I had a Blichmann Therminator chiller to stop trub from blocking up the chiller. I got rid of my Therminator a long time ago. I only used this Hopblocker for maybe 3 brew days...

Whats pretty cheap? I might be interested.

You tell me. I have it posted in the classifieds for $45 shipped so less than that picked up. I'm also open to trades if you have something to throw at me...

I live in Newark De and I am jealous of the triple burner! looks like an excellent system!

We never lost power at my place in Norristown. I drove out to Bensalem this afternoon... what a freakin mess.

Day #2 with no power. We're turning into a hotel for neighbors and friends. When the new furnace went in around November, I had them install it so I could plug in the blower/thermostat portion into the generator in the event we lose power. Gas furnace, so we've been sitting here in heat since yesterday morning. Also have gas hot water heater, and gas range, so we can clean up/cook with no issues. Just run the heater and food fridge, plus enough left over to run the tv/cable box/ps4/power cell phones. Not bad for a craigslist pickup (slightly used honda generator for 1/3 the price)!

Just need to drain the beer fridge/taps before the beer goes, well, you know.... warm? ;)

Hey all I just noticed a couple of people mentioning living or working around the Collegeville/Eagleville area. I work out here and have a drinking club (not just beer, but mostly) called the Jolly Drinkers Club. We meet randomly and are meeting next Thursday at Tosco's on Ridge. Come on by and bring some homebrew or other beer/mead/liquor/wine... I will let you guys know what time next week. Its usually around 5pm because we all go there straight from work.

I've got my RIS that had Vanilla bean/jameson/oak chips in secondary going to the War of the Worts, but I'm struggling to pick a category. Would you guys go with 13f (Imperial stout) or 22c (wood-aged beer)?

I don't really want to put it in both, but maybe...

Power is back! Argh, drained my beer lines and glycol lines last night, now I need to reprime the system. With 25 ft lines, was worried about them freezing.

I've got my RIS that had Vanilla bean/jameson/oak chips in secondary going to the War of the Worts, but I'm struggling to pick a category. Would you guys go with 13f (Imperial stout) or 22c (wood-aged beer)?

I don't really want to put it in both, but maybe...

My Breakfast stout clone won Gold in the specialty beer category at the Philly Homebrew Club Winter Warmers competition. I originally entered it as a stout. I would either go with specialty or wood-aged. I think once you add a bunch of stuff like whisky it disqualifies the beer from the 13f category. Good luck!

My Breakfast stout clone won Gold in the specialty beer category at the Philly Homebrew Club Winter Warmers competition. I originally entered it as a stout. I would either go with specialty or wood-aged. I think once you add a bunch of stuff like whisky it disqualifies the beer from the 13f category. Good luck!

Great info and congrats on you FBS clone. Did you use the recipe from HBT? I've been thinking about doing that one.

I think I'm going to go with 22c then. Thanks!

Any of you still without power? I've been told I'll get power back today. I have over 50 gallons of beer at various ages fermenting in my basement, mostly sours. Temps are hovering around 48 but it makes me nervous. The newest batch (IPA) had been in primary for nine days before the storm so I should be good. Still I'm really getting tired of this winter.

Yup, no power here. And I doubt we'll have it back anytime soon. We had power on wednesday, then a branch came down and leaned against the line. It started to catch fire, so we called the fire dept. They came and just watched it catch/burn off the insulation on the line, which shorted out and blew the transformer.

Fast forward to today: Peco's automated line has finally told me that there is only 5 people affected by my outage. I take that to mean, "You'll be one of the last people we will even bother with." Hoo ray. Hoo f'n ray.

I'm in the same boat, small amount of people effected so they'll wait until everyone else is back on before they do anything here. My power line has been laying under a branch in my yard since Wednesday morning. Our township got hit hard.

Always nice to put a face to the HBT members. Good to meet you and thanks for the deal.

Yeah no problem. Thanks for coming by. I recognized you from around the shop. Of course, I'd probably recognize most of the people in this thread from around the shop... :mug:

Great info and congrats on you FBS clone. Did you use the recipe from HBT? I've been thinking about doing that one.

I think I'm going to go with 22c then. Thanks!

Yeah I used the recipe on here except I couldn't find the right chocolate and ended up using semi-sweet.

This may be a bit early to ask, but maybe referencing last year as a starting point; were there any shops in the city selling Founders KBS? I asked my bottle shops if they got them last year and they said no and were not optimistic about receiving any this year. Did anybody get any in the city last year? It comes out April 1st, but I would like to have a game plan formed well in advance

What bottle shops were you going to that flat out didnt get any? The Foodery in NoLibs got some, I think Beer Heaven did to. I got a few bottles that a friend picked up for me, not sure where he got it.

But it was definitely way more difficult to find then last year for me.

My spot in the burbs got it last year. I don't know how much they got, but it was a one bottle limit at $11/

I'll contact him and see if they're getting it again this year

Sent by a cellular communication device

What bottle shops were you going to that flat out didnt get any? The Foodery in NoLibs got some, I think Beer Heaven did to. I got a few bottles that a friend picked up for me, not sure where he got it.

But it was definitely way more difficult to find then last year for me.

The Foodery off Rittenhouse will probably get some as well, then. I'll ask there this Friday when I pop in to see what they have. I checked a few of the markets around my office, Monde Market, Food N Friends. I will probably also check the Craft Beer Outlet in the Northeast...they seem to get everything.

Back