Is this keg salvageable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JiltedEmu

Reaction score
So I just bought my first kegs off a guy on craigslist. They were supposed to be in "like new" condition and all of them, except one were. The bad one had crap stuck on the inside of the keg and I've spent the past three days trying to clean it up. I've soaked it in PBW, scrubbed it out with a brush, scrubbed it with Bar Keeper's Friend, and I've got a lot of it out, but there are these spots on the bottom and around the bottom that kind of looks like corrosion.

CorrosionPost2.jpg

What do you guys think? I emailed the guy I bought them from and he says it looks like syrup that dried on the walls. I'm skeptical, but don't really know for sure. I can reach some of these spots and they feel like the SS is corroded.

Is it just dried syrup? If it's not, is there any way I can salvage this keg? If you need a higher res pic, message me and I'll try to get you a higher res one. Thanks, guys!

Does kind of look like corrosion. Even the dip tube looks a little worse for the wear. If it is corrosion, once you scrub it all down to bare metal you shoul be fine as long as there are no holes or major pits. Dry it out good and let it sit for a week or so once you get it cleaned to your liking before you fill it with beer. This will allow the SS enough time to re-passivate and it should be corrsion resistant again.

Back