Immersion Wort Chiller: compact vs expanded

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golphur

Reaction score
When I bought my immersion copper wort chiller the coils were all compacted down so that the stack of copper coils were all touching each other. In this state, the chiller only covered about half of the wort in my 40 quart brew pot. Ever since the first time I used it, I have expanded, or uncoiled, the chiller so that the coils covered from the bottom of the pot to the top of the wort when chilling. The coils are no longer touching each other in a stack when I do this.

Is it more efficient to use the chiller in the compacted mode or expanded? or does it even make a difference? How does everyone else use their chillers?

I expand mine, I recirculate during the chill and figure it's more efficient if the wort passes through the coils.

Exactly what I do, but made me start thinking, since they are shipped in compacted mode.

Back