Using wax on corked bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magno

Sound Level Technician
Reaction score
I have two batches of mead in bottles. I have been storing them on their side, to keep the cork wet. If I cover the tops of the bottles with wax, as is the plan, can they then be stored upright?

- magno

It'll look neat- especially if you impress a cool little logo into the wax, but you'll still have to keep the bottle on its side.

I am putting a chinese charecter in the wax. (SWMBO is chinese.) I'll try to post a pic if I can get my hands on a digital camera.

Thanks for the input.

- magno

Next time, just use synthetic corks. They're a bit pricey, but they never dry out and you can store your bottles uprite.

Here are the pics of the mead for the wedding.

47b7dd34b3127cce829995fc190400000016100Bat2zhoyZsd

The bottle on the left is a cinnamon cyser. Since it is carbonated it is in a flippy. The bottle pictured is the only one of that size, most are the 16 oz earthenware flippies. The center bottle is traditional mead, and the rightmost bottle is prickly pear mead. All the bottles will have labels by the wedding.

47b7dd34b3127cce829995fd983500000016100Bat2zhoyZsd

This is a closeup of the seal that is imprinted on all the corked bottles. The character is double happiness.

- magno

Thanks.

The wedding is on June 8. The first of the mead will be tested a week or so previous. Tasting reviews will be forthcoming.

Back