What is in my Berliner Weisse?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matic

Reaction score
I did a no-boil berliner weisse two weeks ago with the Wyeast Lacto culture and German Ale yeast. I racked to secondary a few days ago, and when I went to check on it today it has a little bit of a what I think is a pellicle. I didn't think the lacto would form a pellicle on it's own, but maybe it does. I took some pictures with my cellphone, can anyone identify what I've got with these? I'm not sure if it's really obvious from the pictures, but it looks a little like little clumps of white spheres and a film on the surface of the beer.

CIMG0205.jpg

CIMG0206.jpg

CIMG0203.jpg

CIMG0204.jpg

Thanks for your help!

could be a lot of things, more than likely there is more than just lacto in there, whatever bugs were on the grain made it through to the fermentation so you probably have brett/etc in there

I brought my berliner to a boil, flamed out, then pitched my wyeast lacto. After 100 hrs it had a soft, frothy krausen on it. If thats secondary, I doubt the lacto is very active, its more likely something else in my opinion.

Back