Temp. Step Mash w/Igloo Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Netflyer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 10g Igloo mash tun and I want to do temp. step mash, at 120 and then up to 152F . Being that I can't put a flame under my igloo to heat the first step up to 152, can I drain the first step and reheat that to striking temp (maybe 164ish after the drain) and dump it back in the tun? Or is there a better way?

Thanks!

I noticed that the BrewSmith software tells you what temperature water to add for each step and how much to add. If you don't use it already, I would.

I'm brewing a Stout that calls for the step.

7# UK Pale Ale Malt
2# Flaked Barley
1# Roasted Barley
2oz EKG

OG: 1.042

Recipe calls for 15 min at 120F and 60 min at 150F ... Now I realize this can be mashed entirely at 150, but I want to follow the recipe and do the step. I mean we could argue all day about unmalted roasted barley and whether or not to 120 step it. This is a Jamil Zainasheff recipe and he contends the roasted barley should be crushed really fine, like in a coffee mill or use a rolling pin after a normal crush. According to Jamil to get the right color and bittersweet chocolate flavor this is the way to go.

I use Beersmith but I didn't realize I could use the step mash like that, duh... thanks HBH ... I was thinking it would have to be like Bobby_M said, start really thick and then thin with the right water to get you to 150F and 1.25Qt/LB consistency.

Edit: Beersmith has it under the double infusion category. For me it has me starting at .9qt/# and then after the additional H2O ending at 1.5qt/# ...

Thanks guys!

Back