Cider with cranberries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluechicken

Reaction score
I'm about to do a 1 gallon test batch of cider with cranberries. I'm thinking of trying a technique of cooking the cranberries with a little water (or cider) and sugar, and using the strained liquid to get the SG up to roughly 1.06. I'm wondering if anyone has tried anything like this. At a later date, I plan on testing a cranberry cider using the cranberries in the fermentation process, but I have a fear of too much acid/tartness coming off the fruit if it soaks for a long time. From what I've read here, that seems somewhat likely, though it might mellow with age.

So... the goal is to try making a cranberry syrup, and hope for enough cranberry flavor and minimal tartness to carry through.

Original recipe that I got at Beer Wine & Hobby, Woburn, MA (beer-wine.com)

Adapted from: Mary’s Recipes by Jerry Uthemann

Ingredients: (for 1 gallon, multiply as necessary for more: use one package of yeast for up to 5 gallons).
1 gallon fresh (no preservatives, pasteurized ok) Apple juice or sweet Apple cider
Sugar, if necessary, to adjust specific gravity to 1.060
¾ teaspoon Acid Blend
¼ teaspoon tannin
Pectic enzyme (amount to use on bottle)
¼ teaspoon yeast energizer or ½ teaspoon yeast nutrient
½ to 1 teaspoon Anti-oxidant powder (Absorbic acid)​

I may double the pectic enzyme, as cranberries, especially cooked, have loads of pectin.

Thoughts?

I can't really comment except to say I have a 10% blend of cranberry juice in apple juice in primary fermentation right now as en experiment. I started it on Sunday, we'll see what comes out of there. I have a control test of 100% apple juice as well so see what difference it makes.

This is my first attempt at cider so they both might be aweful.

I'm about to do a 1 gallon test batch of cider with cranberries. I'm thinking of trying a technique of cooking the cranberries with a little water (or cider) and sugar, and using the strained liquid to get the SG up to roughly 1.06. I'm wondering if anyone has tried anything like this. At a later date, I plan on testing a cranberry cider using the cranberries in the fermentation process, but I have a fear of too much acid/tartness coming off the fruit if it soaks for a long time. From what I've read here, that seems somewhat likely, though it might mellow with age.

So... the goal is to try making a cranberry syrup, and hope for enough cranberry flavor and minimal tartness to carry through.

Original recipe that I got at Beer Wine & Hobby, Woburn, MA (beer-wine.com)

Adapted from: Mary’s Recipes by Jerry Uthemann

Ingredients: (for 1 gallon, multiply as necessary for more: use one package of yeast for up to 5 gallons).
1 gallon fresh (no preservatives, pasteurized ok) Apple juice or sweet Apple cider
Sugar, if necessary, to adjust specific gravity to 1.060
¾ teaspoon Acid Blend
¼ teaspoon tannin
Pectic enzyme (amount to use on bottle)
¼ teaspoon yeast energizer or ½ teaspoon yeast nutrient
½ to 1 teaspoon Anti-oxidant powder (Absorbic acid)​

I may double the pectic enzyme, as cranberries, especially cooked, have loads of pectin.

Thoughts?

If you're concerned about acid levels, you might want to refrain from adding acid, IE: acid blend, ascorbic acid at the start of your ferment. I've added acid & tannins to cider, but I always wait till the ferment is done to do so. This makes it easier on the yeast while they do their job & it's always easier to add more acid than to reduce acid that's already in the mix, same goes for tannin.

I think I'd just wash & chop those cranberries (coarse blade & short time in a food processer should do nicely) & throw them in with the juice, yeast nutrient/energizer & save theacid & tannin for post ferment, you may not even need them. I'd use campden tabs on the fruit/juice & wait 24 hrs to add the pectic enzyme & then pitch the yeast. Campden will knockout any nasties that come in on the fruit, but it needs a min of 12 hrs to dissapate. The pectic enzyme doesn't do as well when added at the same time as campden, but the 24 hrs gives plenty of time between them. Regards, GF.

I did a batch of 3/4 apple juice and 1/4 cranberry juice, and the pH was really low, 3.0 I think, so I wouldn't go adding the acid blend unless you test it. I also threw in some cinnamon. I haven't tried it recently to give an update on how it turned out.

Thanks for the great tips. Not adding the acid blend seems so obvious, though I would have overlooked that. I'll probably try the cooked/strained version just to satisfy my curiosity, and then compare it to the chopped fruit version. Thanks also for the tip on the campden tablets.

I'll follow up as I make my way towards a drinkable beverage.

Just pitched the cranberry cider, using a pound of frozen (thawed and then refrozen) cranberries and my recipe at the beginning of the post, with just a wee bit of acid blend. So far, 6 hours later, foaming nicely.

I initially tried cooking the cranberries in hot water with the idea of adding sugar, and then using the juice/sauce to flavor the cider. Bad idea - cranberry releases so much pectin when it cooks that after only a few minutes, I had cranberry jam. So I didn't go that route.

Can't wait to see how this comes out - trying a blueberry version too - both gallon batches.

Back