Cajun cooker location

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skbohler

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm considering getting a turkey/cajun cooker for boiling the wort.

Do these have to be used outside or in a room with lots of windows? If so, that would make it difficult to use in the cold months.

Thanks in advance for any info/advice.

Steve

Yeah, outside is ideal, but I've had friends use them in a partially open garage with decent circulation. The flame has a tendancy to suck all the o2 out of a room so you really don't want a closed space.

Yeah, outside is ideal, but I've had friends use them in a partially open garage with decent circulation. The flame has a tendancy to suck all the o2 out of a room so you really don't want a closed space.

Don't forget about Carbon Monoxide Poisoning...

u mean carbon dioxide? they burn propane in greenhouses

outside would probably be best anyway.

Heed the information in the previous post. Unless you use a propane burner IN THE OPEN, you must pay attention to the CO threat. The "official rules" state you can't do it at all except in the open, but in a large garage, with all the doors open, it's probably OK. I brew with a Bayou Classic SP-10 in an open 24 x 48 Morton Building that is completely open, probably 15 feet at the peak. I brew with the three garage doors and the walk door open.

Moving to more closed-in environments from that, the only answers are 1) an adequate ventilation system, and I'm not talking about a range hood or a box fan blowing out a window, and 2) a carbon monoxide detector (which we use in the house on general principles). Don't do this, you risk becoming a statistic.

I use my burner in my garage with the double door quarter to half way open and the window and door all the way open. I get a nice cold breeze in there, which is hard on the feet, but good for the brewer.

Wood stoves provide a better burn (more efficient) with a cold-air-intake. I used to to this at my old house with our wood-stove that we used to head the whole house. Does anyone know if this is the same for a propane burner?

Back