Making Yogurt, probability of infecting beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conpewter

Reaction score
I've been debating making yogurt. My wife eats it as part of her diet and I've started having it lately as well. I am thinking of making some but since I know it uses lacto so I want to be somewhat careful, I'm thinking of making it upstairs since I do all the beer downstairs.

I doubt there is any more chance of a lacto infection from making it as there is from eating it and then brewing, since it has active cultures. I had an wild yeast infection back when I first started so I'd like to not let anything get ahold again. Anyone have experience?

This is where the sour brewers should chime in, Sause ?

Honestly if you keep it all separate and clean like you have OCD, I cannot see why you would have a problem,

-Jason

I ferment all sorts of sour/wild stuff in the kitchen and I have yet to receive an infection from the lacto. As long as you keep your brewing and food equipment separate and upkeep sanitation you won't have a problem.

Right, as long as you don't use your brew equipment with your yogurt equipment I think you should be fine.

We're doing both beer and homemade yogurt in our kitchen, for at least 3 months now, with no ill effects. Our last two batches of beer were super clean tasting. We don't share any equipment between the two except maybe our thermometer.

(On an unrelated note, I think we were suffering from some Brettanomyces stuck in one of our fermenters for awhile, but that predated any food fermentation we were doing.)

I've been making my own yogurt for about 10 years and brewing for about 5 now, all in the same kitchen. No problem with crossing the little critters. I make about 1/2 gal. of yogurt every two weeks.

Latest posts

Back