Red Ale issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FenMan

Reaction score
I tried one of my sample bottles as per usual after 2 weeks in the bottle. There was a distinct flavor of burnt potato chips. At first i thought it was because it needed more time but then i bought a 6 pack of cheep red ale for a comparison and that same flavor of burnt chips was still there.

What gives red ale this off flavor? are there any cures for this?

On the plus side my father inlaw likes it, and i get to keep all my homebrews to myself other than this crap.

Too much roasted barley would be my first guess. If you post your recipe, someone can tell you a little more.

When i brew a Red Ale this flavor you just described is exactly what im after, maybe you just dont like Red ales after all?

When i brew a Red Ale this flavor you just described is exactly what im after, maybe you just dont like Red ales after all?

Mine also had bite of roasted barly on the aftertaste. The beer was good, just dont enjoy the aftertaste that much.

Thats what i figured.........maybe after all i just dont like the irish red. But mine is still very drinkable.

Yeah, thats the thing with specific grains....

I think we don't always enjoy all of their specific tastes...
Personally I'm not a big fan of chocolate malt, i by far prefer roasted Barley over it.

In my first year of brewing (last year) i brewed a batch using only one kind of grain at a time + some regular extract, just so i could get to learn the specific taste of each one.

Glad i did just that, helped me figure out what i like and dont. :)

the ashy, charred, or burnt flavor could also be black patent. Most Irish Reds include a couple of ounces of black patent or roasted barley.

Latest posts

Back