Wyeast Activator.. First Time User

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullseye

Reaction score
I have made several batches of beer but they all have been using a dry yeast packet.. Yesterday (Saturday) I made a new batch of brew using a kit bought in Southern California that contained grains, malt and hops... The liquid yeast that came with the kit was damaged (by me during transit) so I picked up the Wyeast Activator product from a local brewing supply store. I activated the Wyeast Slap-Pac as per instructions and after making and cooling the wort to 90 degrees, I added it to the wort. That was last night.. Today I have yet to notice any bubbles in the airlock.. I again looked at the Wyeast package and noticed where it was made in Aug 2005! Here are my questions.. (1) was the Wyeast to old as the package did start to puff up? (2) when I lifted the lid on the wort, nothing was happening.. just clear dark wort with no activity on the top as I have noticed in the past when using dry yeast (3) and how long should I go before adding a dry yeast to try to save the mix? I tried to ask these questions at the local Wine/Beer supply store, but the owner is gone for the week, and the person behind the counter was primarily hired to conduct wine tastings, and knows absolutely nothing about brewing... :confused:

Where did you get you yeast?? I purchased some today May 2008. It was getting fat within the hour.

80 degrees is a little hot isn't it??

That's kinda old for liquid yeast-- viability was probably pretty low, although if the package did start to swell, then there was at least some viable yeast.

The low viability will increase the time it takes to see visible signs of fermentation, and the fermentation itself might not be as healthy as it should be.

I would recommend pitching another (much newer :)) package of yeast to ensure you get a good fermentation-- don't wait. As long as your sanitization is good, the wort is still OK and the fresh yeast will take off in no time.

-Steve

Should I take the Wyeast Activator package back to the store, show them the August 2005 date on it and ask for my money back? Should it have been sold in the first place being this old?

I think you are justified in either asking for a refund or a new package of yeast-- they should have not sold you yeast that old in the first place. If they like to keep their customers happy, then they will oblige.

-Steve

Back