ESB recipe, PM, critique/make suggestions please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRFeldman79

Beverage Consultant/Sales Rep
Reaction score
4 lbs. Maris Otter Pale
0.5 lbs. Crystal Malt 40°L
0.25 lbs. American Victory
0.25 lbs. Dextrine Malt
3.5 lbs. John Bull Maris Otter
1 lbs. Dry Extra Light Extract
1 oz. Target (Pellets, 8.0 %AA) boiled 60 min.
1 oz. Challenger (Pellets, 6.3 %AA) boiled 15 min
1 oz. East Kent Goldings (Pellets, 5.7 %AA) boiled 15 min
1 oz. East Kent Goldings (Whole, 5.7 %AA) boiled 1 min
Yeast : WYeast 1098 British Ale

Is the Challenger not worth it there?
How long should I partial mash the Maris Otter and other grains and at what temperature?
Should I make a starter with the yeast?

looks good. i would skip the challenger, myself.

i would mash in the 152-154°F range...that yeast will leave it a little sweet so you don't want to go too high.

generally i mash my PM batches about 45-60 min before i check for conversion.

yeah, as you may remember, ive had conversion problems multiple times, so im definitely going at least 60 minutes at that temperature.

im thinking 5lbs of grain in 6 quarts?

7 qts it is.
do you happen to know the best way to calculate the drop in temp from when the water hits the grain?
im getting a second pot this week so i can heat water in one and then add it to the grains in another, large enough container. im thinking 170, then once combined it should drop and then put a top on it when it drops?

the recipe is probably still the same as the above but i have a style/recipe question...

Is it considered off-style to dry hop an ESB? I'm very tempted to dry hop with an ounce of EKG...

Back