Converting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wags13

Reaction score
I've done 10 or so extract brews ready for the next step. Can someone give me a list of items I'll need to get going to go all grain using an cylindrical cooler mash tun?

Thanks!

Cooler mash tun

Big enough kettle to do full boil (10 gal minimum)

Refractometer ( if you want to check gravity along the way)

Cooler mash tun

Big enough kettle to do full boil (10 gal minimum)

Refractometer ( if you want to check gravity along the way)

Plus a HLT for sparging (assuming the first runnings will go strait into the BK).

+1 on the refractometer

+1 on the mash paddle!
Which brings me to a thought: Before you begin, fill your BK with 1 gallon, dip mash paddle in and mark the paddle. Repeat this process until you get to the max value in your kettle.

It seems like a small thing, but is pays HUGE dividends!

Do the same with your carboys/buckets if you have not done so already.

+1 on the mash paddle!
Which brings me to a thought: Before you begin, fill your BK with 1 gallon, dip mash paddle in and mark the paddle. Repeat this process until you get to the max value in your kettle.

It seems like a small thing, but is pays HUGE dividends!

Do the same with your carboys/buckets if you have not done so already.

Meh, sight tubes (on boil kettles) are far better/easier.:D

Indeed they are, I was thinking about the easiest and cheapest way though.
But yes, a sight glass (if properly calibrated) is way easier/better :tank:

My first sight tube:
sighttube1-54214.jpg

My second, and current, sight tube:
keggle_sight_tube_assemly_welded-57028.jpg

That is some pretty and shiny equipment you have there!
Kind of goes along with what I was saying about overall cost when first starting out into AG.

That setup looks like it cost you a half fortune.

Pretty though!!

That is some pretty and shiny equipment you have there!
Kind of goes along with what I was saying about overall cost when first starting out into AG.

That setup looks like it cost you a half fortune.

Pretty though!!

I make the sight tubes myself. Did the keg polishing too, if you know where to look you can usually score kegs pretty easily. Cost me less than it would cost to buy a 15.5 gallon kettle to make each one. Even with the TC fittings on the second one.

I make the sight tubes myself. Did the keg polishing too, if you know where to look you can usually score kegs pretty easily. Cost me less than it would cost to buy a 15.5 gallon kettle to make each one. Even with the TC fittings on the second one.

Wait, explain this.

It costs you less than the price of a 15.5 gallon keggle to make JUST the sight glass and all the fittings?
Or do you mean cost of keg+extra stuff was less than keg cost?

Wait, explain this.

It costs you less than the price of a 15.5 gallon keggle to make JUST the sight glass and all the fittings?
Or do you mean cost of keg+extra stuff was less than keg cost?

I can make a complete keggle, as shown, for less than you would buy a similarly configured kettle. Better??

Much better. Sorry for the imposition. :eek:

Just call it a VT brain fart... :D

If you want to shoot on down to Nashua, I could show you the setup in more depth/detail. I even have two virgin (decommissioned) kegs on hand to convert. One I plan on using myself. I also have a source for more decommissioned kegs, if you need one. We could go there and you could pick out one from his selection. Prices are good, for what you get, and to get a 100% legal (not stolen) keg. :D

A road trip sounds quite feasible.

Think we might know the same guy (Laconia?)

Would still love to come and see your setup, as this addiction will eventually lead me to the kind of equipment that you have.

I will keep in touch.

A road trip sounds quite feasible.

Think we might know the same guy (Laconia?)

Would still love to come and see your setup, as this addiction will eventually lead me to the kind of equipment that you have.

I will keep in touch.

Anything is possible... I would just advise trying sooner rather than later. I'm going after a couple of positions with a company over in Brunswick, ME. If I land either one, I'll be moving much closer. :D

I know a few people in NH, one I need to find out where he's moved to (very recently) and another I need to find out where he's at. The second one I've known longer.

Back