Critique of Saison recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxknuckle

Reaction score
Looking to get some advice on making a saison. Im looking to make a slightly stronger and slightly hoppier Saison. Any advice would be appreciated:tank:

Recipe: Saison TYPE: All Grain
Style: Saison
---RECIPE SPECIFICATIONS-----------------------------------------------
SRM: 5.5 SRM SRM RANGE: 5.0-14.0 SRM
IBU: 41.1 IBUs Tinseth IBU RANGE: 20.0-35.0 IBUs
OG: 1.070 SG OG RANGE: 1.048-1.065 SG
FG: 1.006 SG FG RANGE: 1.002-1.012 SG
BU:GU: 0.591 Calories: 240.8 kcal/12oz Est ABV: 8.4 %
EE%: 72.00 % Batch: 6.00 gal Boil: 7.90 gal BT: 60 Mins

---WATER CHEMISTRY ADDITIONS----------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.20 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -

Total Grain Weight: 14 lbs 13.7 oz Total Hops: 4.61 oz oz.
---MASH/STEEP PROCESS------MASH PH:5.40 ------
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD WATER CHEMICALS BEFORE GRAINS!!<<<<<<<
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs 7.0 oz 2-Row (Great Western) (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 77.0 %
1 lbs 11.3 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 3 11.5 %
9.1 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 4 3.8 %

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 4.29 gal of water at 159.1 F 148.0 F 75 min

---SPARGE PROCESS---
>>>>>>>>>>-RECYCLE FIRST RUNNINGS & VERIFY GRAIN/MLT TEMPS: 72.0 F/72.0 F
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD BOIL CHEMICALS BEFORE FWH
Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun, , 5.26gal) of 168.0 F water

---BOIL PROCESS-----------------------------
Est Pre_Boil Gravity: 1.054 SG Est OG: 1.070 SG
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1 lbs 2.3 oz Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 5 7.7 %
2.31 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 32.9 IBUs
1.16 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 8.2 IBUs
1.14 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

I think this looks fairly good. I prefer Pils malt instead of regular 2 row for Saisons. I think it gives a more interesting malt flavor in the beer.

11.5% seems like a lot of munich to me, but this is a rustic "throw in whatever you want to" type of style.

What yeast are you planning on using?

I agree. I like pils for my saisons. I would cut back the munich also.

The yeast is the star in a saison. So what yeast are you using?

Im going to use the French Saison yeast by Wyeast. I was only using 2 row because its what I have on hand, but I think Ill pick up some Pils at the local store. Ill also cut a bit of the munich. What do you guys think? about 1/2 pound munich? Thanks for the help!!:mug:

Im going to use the French Saison yeast by Wyeast. I was only using 2 row because its what I have on hand, but I think Ill pick up some Pils at the local store. Ill also cut a bit of the munich. What do you guys think? about 1/2 pound munich? Thanks for the help!!:mug:

A mix of 2 row and pils would be good. Cutting back the munich sounds good. A little will ad just a slight complexity to the brew.

3711 is a beast and will take it down to near 1.000

Brew it up.

The number one most important ingredient in a sasison in my experience is the yeast, and a high fermentation temp. I agree with lowering the Munich. It's all about the yeast. I'm brewing one this weekend using a swamp cooler with an aquarium heater. (WLP566)

Also, I would drop the 5.2 stabilizer. Add a little CaCl to bring the Cl level to 75 for sweetness if needed. Then adjust pH at dough in. Its really pretty easy and you end up with less extra junk in your beer and a better mash pH that 5.2 will give you. Details here:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/10/mash-ph.html

Thanks for all the support. I'm planning on lowering the Munich and I also plan on fermenting at 68 degrees for 2 days then slowly ramping up to 84. I'm looking forward to brewing this!!

With 3711 there really is no need to ramp it up quite that hot. It will do it's job at lower temps than most saison yeasts.

YEAST STRAIN: 3711 | French Saison

Back to Yeast Strain List

A very versatile strain that produces Saison or farmhouse style biers as well as other Belgian style beers that are highly aromatic (estery), peppery, spicy and citrusy. This strain enhances the use of spices and aroma hops, and is extremely attenuative but leaves an unexpected silky and rich mouthfeel. This strain can also be used to re-start stuck fermentations or in high gravity beers.

Origin:
Flocculation: Low
Attenuation: 77-83%
Temperature Range: 65-77F 18-25C
Alcohol Tolerance: ABV 12%

Agreed. 78 is what I use for WLP566, but with wyeast it looks like a lower target might be better. I use 78 for the whole fermentation time and it has come out good enough that I don't want to change my process.

I have also used citrus type hops in my saison... Citra, Motueka all work well. Never used Hallertauer... I also use a little bit of pepper (1.5 - 2 tsp) in mine because I like that hint of pepper notes. Some yeasts will give you that peppery note, but I like it with just a little bit more spicyness.

I guess it's a question of how intense you like it. I would be afraid fusal alcohols would dominate the flavor profile if you are much above 80 degrees for the start of fermentation.

The great thing about saison is that you can take it almost any direction. I think Saison Dupont is made with only pilsner malt. Agree with others that 3711 is great yeast and will chew through anything almost.

Back