Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408678447.776644.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

This was a while ago but there was a guy at my house for a poker game. I had a kristalweisen on tap. He pours a glass, holds it up and says "I can't believe it's possible to make beer this good at home" before even tasting it. Of course it was super light and clear, and I guess to him that equals good.

I brought a mix of Slim's Lemon Lime Hefe and Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Beer to a poker night last night since they're both tasty and easy drinking. A new guy was there and didn't know I made the stuff, so he started asking some basic questions.

"What does the FYB taste like?"
"There's not much to it really. It's crisp almost like a lager but technically it's not"
"Oh cool. I'm not much of a beer drinker but I usually just stick to lagers. I'm not a fan of the ale taste."

Didn't ask for clarification on exactly what he meant by ale taste :p

A buddy of mine made the same comment once drinking an American Pale Ale. "I don't like it, it's got that 'ale taste' to it." Wasn't sure what he meant, maybe it was slightly estery?

He's also professed to only drinking lagers, but I have seen him purchase and drink heffes, Belgians, and stouts without complaint.

I brought a mix of Slim's Lemon Lime Hefe and Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Beer to a poker night last night since they're both tasty and easy drinking. A new guy was there and didn't know I made the stuff, so he started asking some basic questions.

"What does the FYB taste like?"
"There's not much to it really. It's crisp almost like a lager but technically it's not"
"Oh cool. I'm not much of a beer drinker but I usually just stick to lagers. I'm not a fan of the ale taste."

Are you people really going to act like ales aren't more estery than lagers? Typically more hoppy (APA, IPA, even British pales like Bass) than most lagers? Especially the typical American adjunct lager?

(Yes, you can give your examples that prove that wrong, but those are outliers. Don't say Baltic porter, please.)

And the reason cream ales and fizzy yellow beers are unique is that they're ales that taste like lagers.

Your friend didn't say anything funny. He was correct.

Like when people talk about Belgian beers, which are as varied as they can be.

Just got done telling my cousin I had started brewing my own beer. We were talking about a brewery in town & I mentioned their saison. He said "all that stuff just taste like grass to me". Knew I had to add that convo to this thread haha

It was meant as a cheap laugh, but yes, ales are more estery, hoppy, and generally flavorful, and that's exactly the point. There are so many different characteristics that can make an ale taste different from a lager that it's essentially a meaningless statement to say "this tastes like an ale"

A coworker told me that he only drinks Guinness cause he doesn't like ales. After talking to him a bit, he thought fizzy yellow BMC beers were ales. Guinness is 'beer'.

A coworker told me that he only drinks Guinness cause he doesn't like ales. After talking to him a bit, he thought fizzy yellow BMC beers were ales. Guinness is 'beer'.

I know I've told this story before, but it's fun for me. years ago I was working in a steel yard. one of my duties was to make bolts in a building that was separate from the warehouse as well as the welding shop. the new know-it-all maintenance man (Will) used to take break with the other guy (John) who worked over there. I was making bolts that day & went out for smoke break with them. I was telling John it was bottling day and Will inquired on what I was talking about. I told him that I make beer and he asked what style. I told him stout and he goes, "N-n-n-n-no. Stout is not a beer, it's an ale."

and here come the "well, actually..."

I think I am starting to figure out the non-craft beery types descripters on beer.

Too Hoppy usually means to bitter, or too strong of a flavor, not necessarily due to hops.
Too Dark usually means too strong of a flavor.

I think I am starting to see a trend here.

I think I am starting to figure out the non-craft beery types descripters on beer.

Too Hoppy usually means to bitter, or too strong of a flavor, not necessarily due to hops.
Too Dark usually means too strong of a flavor.

I think I am starting to see a trend here.

I think that's right, and too dark can mean too hoppy for someone who hasn't picked up on the term "hops" yet. I had my cousin try two of my beers, she preferred the amber saison (and actually finished it) but said the ultra-pale hoppy lager was "too dark" and wouldn't touch it.

I've been at Walmart in the cold beer aisle & heard the one about pale ales being "too dark". Understandable from a BMC drinker. But still...:drunk:

I've been saying that for 3 decades!

The truth. I don't usually say it but when some jackass at the bar keep ragging on my buddies and I for girly beer; I let that loose as a warning.

Then it goes to asking him why he doesn't like it (usually too dark, too bitter, etc) which brings in the who is actually drinking girly beer. Hint: It isn't me.

I have only done it three times, all well deserved. I hate seeming all pretentious, just let me drink my beer of choice and you drink yours.

The truth. I don't usually say it but when some jackass at the bar keep ragging on my buddies and I for girly beer; I let that loose as a warning.

Then it goes to asking him why he doesn't like it (usually too dark, too bitter, etc) which brings in the who is actually drinking girly beer. Hint: It isn't me.

I have only done it three times, all well deserved. I hate seeming all pretentious, just let me drink my beer of choice and you drink yours.

I can honestly say that I've busted that out quite a bit more. usually some frat boy drinking High Life or PBR (and I like PBR) or one of my wife's cousins while he's holding a mega-ultra-64 light. and I usually socially castrate them with the "p" word.

good try guys, but it's pterodactyl. nothing breaks down a macho ego like being called a pterodactyl. I made a MMA guy cry in front of his woman in a bar because I busted out the "pterodactyl".

Back