Yeast starter question 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minjin

Reaction score
If I make a starter, I have no stirplate can I put an aquarium pump line in and just areate in place of a stir plate? Keeping it sanitary of course with foil over the top. The bubbling taking place of the stir plate?

You will need an inline filter and make sure you have a way to clean and sanitize the air stone.

I just brewed two different beers using a yeast starter on both. You can swirl bottle or flask around to rouse the yeast and aerate. Both starters were different yeast and after I pitched the starters I got furious fermentation within 10 hours.

My starters are 32 ounces of water and one cup DME and yeast, that enough?

You want your starter to have an OG of 1.04. It gives yeast enough sugar to replicate healthy yeast. I usually use 60 oz. of water and 1/3 lb. of DME

I made my starter with 1/2 cup of DME and 1litre of water. Covered with foil and gently swirled for 3 days. Put in fridge, took it out on brew day decanted most of the wort, pitched into my carboy and had very active fermentation in under 12 hours...

Latest posts

Back