Wing Capper Gone Wild

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilgarlic

Reaction score
So, with four full fermentors ready for bottling, I go over my handlebars at 18mph and break my wrist. Dad's visiting, so I enlist his support. He's a bit of a klutz, and when we get to the point where we have 86 bottles on the counter with caps on ready to be crimped, I'm nervous. Starts out soooooo tentative and awkward, but once he thinks he gets the hang of it it's like he's dancing with that capper, and it's not a waltz, but a boogaloo. No bottles broken; nothing spilled. Wish me luck... two more batches to bottle tomorrow!

A helper that can cap all those bottles with no breaks... is better than no helper at all :mug: Good luck with the batches tomorrow!

I'm trying to teach my dog to help me brew. But he keeps getting too drunk to help.

As long as he dont jump out the window with that wing capper a flappin away.

I'm trying to teach my dog to help me brew. But he keeps getting too drunk to help.

Any chance you got that dog from these guys?

hi-bob-doug.jpg

Well done with the wing capper! I got rid of mine for a bench capper when it started eating bottles. Great to have a helper, especially Dad!

Well done with the wing capper! I got rid of mine for a bench capper when it started eating bottles. Great to have a helper, especially Dad!

I was starting to think I was the only one who had a wing capper that started eating bottles! I love my bench capper! :drunk:

I was starting to think I was the only one who had a wing capper that started eating bottles! I love my bench capper! :drunk:

Stauffbier and HDChef, was your wing capper just eating twist-offs, or pry-offs too? Mine ate a few twisties but I'm hoping it has no issues with pry-off bottles.

Sounds like the bench capper is better in general... bah, may have to give in to one soon.

So, with four full fermentors ready for bottling, I go over my handlebars at 18mph and break my wrist. Dad's visiting, so I enlist his support. He's a bit of a klutz, and when we get to the point where we have 86 bottles on the counter with caps on ready to be crimped, I'm nervous. Starts out soooooo tentative and awkward, but once he thinks he gets the hang of it it's like he's dancing with that capper, and it's not a waltz, but a boogaloo. No bottles broken; nothing spilled. Wish me luck... two more batches to bottle tomorrow!

Lucky you. First time my father tried to cap some bottles, he broke the hinges on my redbaron capper. We took the metal cap part off, and used a hammer to install the caps! No broken bottles fortunately, but I went out and bought a bench capper after that.

We've never broken or cracked a single bottle! Capping or otherwise. I was afraid he'd end the streak.

Interesting thread, my capper is powered by 2 hands and manpower. I didn't realize there were motorized cappers?

passedpawn said:
Heh. I've looked at the forum, the morning after, with one eye closed, anticipating the worst. "I posted that?"

Yeah... That's what I'm doing right now.

Stauffbier and HDChef, was your wing capper just eating twist-offs, or pry-offs too? Mine ate a few twisties but I'm hoping it has no issues with pry-off bottles.

Sounds like the bench capper is better in general... bah, may have to give in to one soon.

My wing capper got bent inside somehow (I'm sure it was due to user error), and it started breaking every bottle I tried to cap. I only use pry-offs..

We bottled the last two batches today. No casualties and sixteen cases in the closet.

I only use pry-off bottles, just don't trust twisties. My son was helping me cap when the first one broke, I was filling, he was capping. We traded jobs, then I broke one. A little disheartening to hear that crunch. I think some of the moving parts on the wing capper weren't sliding like they used to, it was over 10 years old.

Sorry to hear about your accident, OP, sounds painful and I hope you heal up soon.

My son sometimes bottles with me when he's home from school - he says it's his favorite part of brewing! God bless him . . .

Sorry to hear about your accident, OP, sounds painful and I hope you heal up soon.

My son sometimes bottles with me when he's home from school - he says it's his favorite part of brewing! God bless him . . .

Thanks, Pap. My son introduced me to brewing, but he"s now at school and living on the Left Coast.

Back