wlp023 has shown I'm an idiot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrpeccator

Reaction score
I brewed Friday evening and pitched a 1L starter at full krausen into 68 wort. Things should go well, yes?

24 hours into things with the wort at 64 there was NO sign of any life. The wort was flat, there was nary a bubble to be seen anywhere and the airlock was silent. So I scratch my head for a bit and wonder what happened; I followed a pretty decent procedure for yeast wrangling and always have krausen with all yeast within a day. Now this is where my idiot label comes into play. I know airlock activity means squat, but I decided to swirl the carboy and see what happened.

Well, something happened. Now that my ceiling is painted by the violent explosion of an apparently fermenting ESB, (6 ft beer volcano) I am feeling sheepish and SWMBO won't even pile on because I'm so pissed. Mess cleaned up, I moved it into the garage.

I come out Sunday morning and find yeast slurry stalagtites coming out of my airlock and hanging on the shoulders of the carboy. Tons of pure slurry was sticking to the outside of my carboy, AND NOT IN THE BEER! WTF is with this yeast? The more I learn about this hobby, the less I understand yeast.

BTW: I had checked it out on this site before using it and set up an blowoff tube into a sanitized jar to collect some yeast for the next batch.

Back