drinking from the secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnync

Reaction score
Lets say you make a small batch of wine "x" and after fermenting you rack it and screw a lid on it and tose it in the fridge or under the sink

whould that be too redneckie? what would the taste diffrence be?

thanks

Redneckie...... Some people would find that offensive :) . I live in the back ass woods my friend an now some "redness" that could brew the most beautiful **** .

Compared too what? If its just finished in primary and you stick a lid on it and put it under your sink it would probably explode... or if your lucky just be really fizzy.

Unless you mean put it under airlock in your fridge but then continue to drink it, in which case it would get more and more exposure to air each time you open it and you will end up with something very oxidised - in some wines this would make it a bit sherry like, in others just tastes nasty.

my wife drinks our wine so fast that its not worth it to bottle it. I just pour it out of the carboy, unless its apfelwein then it gets kegged and is put on tap!

oh im not knocking rednecks........I is one LMAO
border line so my swmbo says....the "homemade" wine doesnt help my standings in her eyes

so what about 375 ml half bottles? I just dont want alot to go to waste.....seeing as Im the one making it! And for now the only one that will be drinking it!........"she will take no part in sampling something that was mixed in a bucket and left to rot for five days!"

But shes fine with me drinking it? go figure

oh im not knocking rednecks........I is one LMAO
border line so my swmbo says....the "homemade" wine doesnt help my standings in her eyes

so what about 375 ml half bottles? I just dont want alot to go to waste.....seeing as Im the one making it! And for now the only one that will be drinking it!........"she will take no part in sampling something that was mixed in a bucket and left to rot for five days!"

But shes fine with me drinking it? go figure

All wine is mixed in a bucket and left to rot. Fermentation is a fancy name for spoilage. :D

With something like this, you do run the risk of oxidizing your wine every time you feel like a glass at dinner. What about something half-way in between? Siphon the wine into one gallon jugs, and then serve yourself from those. You'll still be exposing the wine to oxygen, but only some of it at a time.

Thanks MalFet
How long would it keep like that before it got so oxidized that it would affect the taste?
few days? few weeks?

Thanks

Thanks MalFet
How long would it keep like that before it got so oxidized that it would affect the taste?
few days? few weeks?

Thanks

Good question. My wife is a bit sensitive to the taste of sulfites, so we tend to use only a tiny bit in our wine kits. As a result, things don't last too long. Bottles are noticeably oxidized after 48 hours and darn-right unpleasant after about 4 days, even with our gimmicky vacuum sealer. If you go a bit more aggressively with the K-meta, you might be able to go longer. Sorry man, I know that's not a terribly specific answer.

thanks for your help
750 ml bottle is about 25 oz. so im sure i can handle that in a few days...long as its tasty

Back