Apple wine and Mead question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KoedBrew

Reaction score
So I am fermenting my first batches of Apple wine (Edworts and Joe's ancient orange).

I was wondering....should apple wine and/or Mead be carbonated?

Does it matter if it is sweet or dry as to whether you should carbonate?

Are there calculators for carbonation of these, because I made 1 gallon of JAOM and 3 gallons of the apple wine?
Are there calculators? And what if I just wanted to carbonate a bottle or 2 and keep others still to compare?

Thanks for the pointers in advance :mug:

Beer is always carbonated. Wine is made still and carbonated. Mead can be either too. I would think the method would be the same for beer. If you are going to use larger bottles (like 750 ml), maybe a bit less sugar (I'd look into homemade champagne levels).

As I am sure you know you need to use pressure rated bottles (i.e. beer, champaign, etc.) and not traditional wine bottles if you are carbonating. You need to be certain that fermentation is done, honey can take a very long time to fully ferment. Then I would use a product like Cooper's Carbonation Drops. They get 1 drop for a beer bottle or 2 for a 750. These will individually carbonate bottles then you can do some without to have some still bottles. Rememeber that you cannot use potassium sorbate if you plan to carbonate.

Back