Keg ball lock fitting stuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndhoffma

Reaction score
Ive got a ball lock style keg I bought used and the fitting on the 'out' post is completely stuck. As in, I need to grab it with pliers just to get it to rotate.

Does anyone know why this may have happened? Are there larger diameter posts out there? Am I using the wrong o-ring on the post?

I don't know if the connector on the picnic tap is salvageable after this, but Id at least like to fix the keg so it is still usable.

thanks!

Do you mean that the quick disconnect (black thing that you attach the beer line to) is stuck, or that you can't remove the metal out post?

Note: Pliers are not the best tool to remove a ball lock post. You could use a deep 7/8ths socket or box wrench.

I mean that the black thing that you attach the beer line to is stuck on the post. The pliers were being used to try to take the black thing off the post.

you probably just have a really good seal going with the oring. Try getting some lube in there (food grade) vasoline or keg lube. Or alternatively try spraying some star san in the connection. Star san has helped me get the Quick disconnect on and off before.

Are you sure the posts are not reversed and that you do in fact have a Gas and a Liquid post?

They are different and if you get a connector on the wrong post they are a PAIN to get off.

Good luck,

Ed

I didnt realize they were different size on the posts... my guess is that is probably the case. Ill try that & see how it works out - thanks!

they are a PAIN to get off.

You are not kidding. any suggestions for getting them off? I did this a few months ago and the keg is just sitting there, taunting me.

I have heard of the connectors being destroyed in the process...

You can try pulling up on the ring and use a flat screwdriver to pry up the bottom of the connector at the same time.

Good luck.

Ive tried that with no luck so far. I was considering unscrewing the post from the keg
Then, you can disassemble the black connector by unscrewing the top, then maybe push/punch out the post

Ill let you know if that works

Unscrew the plastic cap on the top of the black QD using a butter knife. Then if you have some silicone or other kind of lube pour or spray some inside. Let it sit a bit and it might help loosen the QD up a bit. Otherwise it is a pry job and hope you don't break the plastic. Happened to me once and I was able to get it off without damage. Usually happens once and then you learn not to do it again.

The disconnect only costs about 5 dollars. If it wouldn't succumb to a few minutes of persuasion, I'd just break it off. and replace it from your spares. You do have spares, right?

Just be careful not to damage your tank post. The posts cost double what the disconnects cost. Remember to check that you have the right post installed for the type of disconnect you are using.

Sorry for digging up an old thread but this happened to mean I solved it without damaging anything. First I tried running hot tap water over it, then soapy water, then soaking it in warm water upside down in a bucket. Finally what worked was pouring near near boiled water over it. It took a little while and it didn't work the first time I tried after the water so have plenty of water on hand and be careful to not burn yourself.

I unscrewed the post from the keg (it was empty at the time) and then put the ball lock fitting & post in some hot water in a pot on the stove. I was able to pop the post out with some pliers after getting the fitting good & warm. Thanks for the advice!

Just this happened to me, and no amount of pulling, leverage, etc. was getting it off. After reading this thread, I filled a coffee cup with instant-hot (190-F) water, and just soaked it for 60 seconds. Popped right off!

Used a dishtowel to keep from burning my hands on the hot metal.

Thanks for the easy solution! :)
--LexusChris

Do you use keg lube? I wasn't until mine became hard to remove, I use it all the time now.

In my case, I mistakenly put the liquid post on the gas 'In' port of my keg when washing it last week. When I went to put the gas connector on the 'in' post, it was sticky (naturally, it was the wrong post) so I just put my weight on it ... but couldn't get a good seal, and could not remove the connector! It was jammed solid.

The hot water soak made pulling it off real easy. I had to unscrew the post from the keg, but that was real quick too!

With the correct connector on the correct post, I usually do not have any issues with getting them on/off. :)
--LexusChris

Holy crap my fingers hurt! Thread rival since this might help others.

I was just messing around with my new keg and put the gas post on the "out" port and ended up having to unscrew the port from the keg and wrapped it in a towel and put it in my workbench vice to rip the two apart. I ran it under hot water first.

Rookie mistake I will never ever make again!

I just wanted to say thanks for this thread. I didn't realize I could unscrew the ball lock post from the top to access the inside, then the suggestion to soak the inside in boiling water did the trick for me.

As others had done, I accidentally put a liquid fitting on the gas port and got myself into this mess.

This threads a life saver. Bit of boiling water and it popped right out. Should have checked here before I tore up the disconnect with a wrench and screwdriver.

You should be able to see the hex section of the post below the disconnect.
If there's a notch the disconnect better be gray, and no notch needs black.
12 point is always gas/gray.

Notched post needs the short gas tube...

Cheers!

Boiling water trick worked great for me. Just poured it over the top. Would not pry off previously and easily popped off after the hot water. Thank you!

I'm guessing the QDs are mixed up.

I learned the hard way that indeed, the gas and liquid posts are different.

Boiling water trick worked great for me. Just poured it over the top. Would not pry off previously and easily popped off after the hot water. Thank you!
Thanks everyone for the hot water suggestion. I got my jammed black ball lock fitting off the gas end of my keg by pouring hot water over it, a little at a time, without having to remove the fitting or prying it (and saving my beer too!). I depressurized the keg first.

Back