Dry Yeast vs. Liquid Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When it comes to fermentation, they are both yeast, and will both consume sugars, however, dry yeasts aren't available in as many different strains as liquid cultures. You definitely cannot make a true Witbier, or Hefeweizen without the proper yeast. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can get those yeasts in a dry variety. There are many more choices with liquids, but liquids do require starters, and are more expensive.

There are many here that will argue about liquid vs dry, but I am from the philosophy of "what type of yeast do the breweries I like use?"

Anyhow, there are some great clean fermenting dry yeasts, but again, for certain styles liquid cultures are a must. Price will be one of the largest factors.

That's because liquid yeast costs more.
I almost always use liquid yeast, simply because the yeasts I like for most of my brews aren't available in the dry form.
However, if I make an APA, I will use S-05 because I can't taste the difference between that and the liquid equivalents, and it is easier and cheaper.

-a.

If you are just starting out I recommend you use dry, unless you are making a style that does not fit with dry. I started with dry, move to liquid and now mostly use dry as it is more consistent and easier. For the beers I brew I can not detect any difference.

I did recently brew a Munich Helles and used dry, it was a beer I think would have done better with liquid yeast, live and learn.

If you're brewing a style that doesn't depend on the yeast lending a particular flavor it isn't going to matter much whether you use a fairly neutral dry or liquid yeast. But as others have mentioned, some styles call for specific strains of yeast that may only be available in liquid form.

I use both types just depending on the style. I'll stick to liquid when I'm doing a wheat, belgian, or british style ale so I can get a good yeast to match the style. But if I'm doing a typical pale ale, IPA, or something I usually just go with nottingham of S-05 or something that isn't going to lend much of a yeast character.

So, six of one or half a dozen of the other. Both will make great beer.

You definitely cannot make a true Witbier, or Hefeweizen without the proper yeast. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can get those yeasts in a dry variety.

There actually is a dry form of hefeweizen, but the only brand I've seen is Safbrew (I think it's WB-06). But in general, yeah your choices with using a liquid yeast are way better.

Back