I'm looking for a recipe close to that of the Deschutes Dissident!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ltd

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm hoping that someone out there knows of a recipe for a sour brown based on the profile of the Dissident for an All-Grain system. We are expecting our first born, and with the intent of having a welcoming party - I thought it appropriate to put together a unique & fitting beer. The wife (unable to drink currently) loves the Dissident, and in her honor of having to abstain from my home-brews for 10 months - I thought I'd brew something that she loves.

Any help here would be great!

Thanx,

-A-

Your first step should be emailing Deschutes. They will probably be happy to let you know the types of ingredients they used, and if you're lucky you might even get percentages.

Let us know what you find.. I don't see a lot of information out there, but I like the beer and wouldn't mind making it myself.

Well, lets see what we know. It's a oud bruin/flanders brown style of beer. Deschutes say they used Brett for the secondary fermentation. They added cherries as well and aged it in wine barrels. That's a start!

Found this in a beer blog...

Stats
Original Gravity: 1.090
ABV: 8.8%
IBU: 30
Malts: pilsner, acidulated, Munich, caramel, crystal
Hops: "Czech" (presumably Saaz), Tettnang, Hallertau
Adjuncts: dark candi sugar, Montmorency cherries
Yeast: brettanomyces bruxellensis, brettanomyces lambicus, lactobacillus culture
Methods: sour mash, 20% aged in wine casks (pinot/cabernet)

Doesn't say if he got that info from the brewery, so grain of salt prescribed.

I love this beer. And I absolutely think you should brew this. As having never brewed a sour beer I'm asking (mostly out of ignorance)...Aren't these beers things that just can't be recreated? Or in these recipes are we just trying to get "as close as possible?" I'm actually in the camp that you can't re-create any beer because the circumstances in which it was brewed (equipment, environment, etc.) makes the beer, so that's my bias for asking the question.

Back