Witbier Hoegaarden Witbier Clone - Pierre Celis White

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't made this in awhile. I always used rice hulls for good drainage, especially when the grist is 50% wheat. Wheat can get gummy and cause stuck mashes. It's cheap and easy to apply to the mash.

I always do the step mash. It's not that hard to do and also helps keep the temp from falling out of range. If you didn't do I don't think it would hurt your beer.

Neither are challenges

Really want to brew this recipe. I've done about 10 brews with my grainfather, but only done the mash at a single temperature.

I've spent the last couple of days trying to understand the mash schedule, but do not understand the following:

Step Rest Start Stop Heat Infuse Infuse Infuse
Step Name Time Time Temp Temp Type Temp Amount Ratio
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Protein Step 0 15 124 120 Infuse 139 7.50 0.83
Sachrification Ste 0 45 158 152 Infuse 210 6.80 1.59

Could someone give me a basic understanding of the temperatures and timing for the mash.

Thanks,

Ash

Really want to brew this recipe. I've done about 10 brews with my grainfather, but only done the mash at a single temperature.

I've spent the last couple of days trying to understand the mash schedule, but do not understand the following:

Could someone give me a basic understanding of the temperatures and timing for the mash.

Thanks,

Ash

See post number 4. I have it spelled out better in that post. Ok

Protein step
  • Water infusion amount 7.5 Qrts
  • Water infusion temp 139F
  • Mash temp range 120-124F (after addition)
  • Mash 15 Minutes

Sachrification step
  • Water Infusion amount 6.8 Qrts
  • Water infusion temp 210F
  • Mash temp range 152-158F (After Addition)
  • Mash 45 minutes

I always do an iodine test. If its positive then I keep mashing. Usually a really good stir and another 15 minutes does it for me. I also use "5" Mash Treatment. Ask for it at your LHBS. You add it to the dough in to hit a 5pH.

My FG was about 1.012

I didn't have problems with my yeast at all. It was fresh, so no starter.

A good rule of thumb for beers over 1.040 make a starter. 1.047 isn't that high. Also for smack packs look at the date code. For every month of age use 1 day to let it swell. Therefore a 4 month old smack-pack should be at its best, after smacking, after 4 days. Thats w/o a starter.

As for coriander, I used the stuff from Walmart. Already crushed. I think it was Tones Brand. Its a local brand here. There nothing to using crushed, just add it.

Add the coriander at the end of the boil (5 min) and in the 2ndary. For the latter add it to the 2ndary then rack to it.... The smell is awesome!!!!

:rockin:

It's this one. ^^^^^

Latest posts

Back