Extra time in the fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjanderson

Reaction score
I brewed up a batch of cream ale and everything went fine, but when it came time to bottle life got in the way and I just put it off. It wound up staying in the fermenter for about an extra month.

Will this have any negative effects? I didn't think it would but when I tasted the beer on bottling day, today, it had some sour flavors. I'm not really concerned but a little curious if anyone has done this and what their results were like.

Thanks, Mike

I routinely leave mine in the primary for 4 to 6 weeks and have left it for up to 3 months with nothing but positive results. Very clear, clean tasting, well aged beer has always been the outcome.

Cool, that's what I expected but then I started thinking, and that's usually when things start going badly :)

I probably should have just sat back and had another beer.

Rack to a secondary after 7-10 days. Leave it there indefinitely and maybe even throw it in a fridge after 2-3 weeks.

Back