Volume too large for kettle...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jersh

Reaction score
Hey everyone, after a couple brews and several test boils I've been able to dial in my boil-off rate, volume lost to trub, brewhouse effeciency, dead space in MLT, etc so that I think Beersmith is giving me pretty good numbers to go by.
I'm planning to try a recipe for a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout clone, and it calls for a 90 minute boil which bumps me up to a boil volume of 7.71 gallons. My brew kettle is 8 gallons so I don't feel comfortable pushing it this close to the brim. Would it be a bad idea for me to start of with a more comfortable volume of ~7.25 gallons, and then after some boils off, add another 2 quarts of boiling water? Will the slightly lower starting volume lead to over-utilization of the hops? Here is the recipe:

8 lbs. - 2 Row Pale Malt
1 lb. - Flaked Oats
1/2 lb. - Crystal Malt (60L)
1/2 lb. - Chocolate Malt
1/4 lb. - Roasted Barley

1.75 oz. - East Kent Goldings - 90 min.

White Labs Irish Ale Yeast (WLP004) - 1800 ml starter

Mash at 151° for 60 min.
Sparge as usual
Boil for 90 minutes

Do you have another pot that can hold an excess? You can start as two things being boild, then combine when you have room

Yeah I have one of those cheap speckled enamel 5 gallon stock-pots that I use to heat my sparge water with. I would prefer to not have to transfer that large of volume though, because I'd have to mix all in my big pot first and then transfer 1/2 to the other pot, then boil for a bit, than transfer it back together into the bit pot... More of a PITA than it's worth in my opinion.

You don't have to split it evenly - just a gallon or two in one pot should be ok.

I have a smaller pot that I put on the stove and it boils separately and I will add it to the larger pot at about the 30 minute mark. I just use it for the excess wort which is about 2-3 quarts.

I don't see what you would gain by adding more water when you are boiling off water. It seems it would just dilute your beer. If you haven't tried foam control drops I would recommend them, they work well in a full pot situation like yours.

I have a smaller pot that I put on the stove and it boils separately and I will add it to the larger pot at about the 30 minute mark. I just use it for the excess wort which is about 2-3 quarts.

I don't see what you would gain by adding more water when you are boiling off water. It seems it would just dilute your beer. If you haven't tried foam control drops I would recommend them, they work well in a full pot situation like yours.

Thanks for the input. Do you add a small portion of your hops to the smaller pot while boiling? I guess that's my main concern, hops utilization that is....

Thanks for the input. Do you add a small portion of your hops to the smaller pot while boiling? I guess that's my main concern, hops utilization that is....
No I just boil it down to reduce it as the larger pot is going. I don't think the small volume you mention will hurt your utilization all that much if at all noticeable. I was a bit leary on the foam control at first but I can fill my 8 gallon pot to at least 7.5 and it does not foam over. It really is great stuff for boilovers. 3-4 drops is all I use.

If you have any left it isn't bad for starters either which can be a side benefit.

Back